It's just the start.

2 minute read time.

Hello world

This is my first week on here and thought I would start writing my blog to share with you all the story of my life, my family, my feelings and fears.

Before I start my blog I just want to give you an insight to my life before the phone call..........

I'm a bubbly blonde 38yr old from Preston, Lancashire & I'm the oldest of 3 children. I have a brother & sister and mum and dad. My blog is all about my dad. My dad known to some as 'pops' well how would I describe him to you ummmmm........a complete joker, very funny dry sense of humour, positive thinking guy who is very much a handy Andy crossed with a comedian then crossed with peacemaker. If you need anything doing in your house painting, building, DIY you name it and he can do it! He's the family peacemaker always keeping us all happy and of course family comedian, think Peter Kay crossed with John bishop family humour without all the rude stuff.

And so I will begin my blog:

Wed 31st Aug - just back from a mini holiday in Ibiza I'm shattered after a few days clubbing, drinking and sunbathing. Call home about 6pm to say hi and see how my dad is, he was unwell for 3 weeks prior to my holiday and so unusual to see my dad unwell. Dad answers the phone he's been having tests at hospital which I know about, I say hi how are you? He replies " I've been at the hospital today having tests and I have cancer" he then passed the phone to my mum.

I remain calm whilst talking to my mum. Once I put the phone down I realise that life has changed forever but I must remain strong.

Sun 4th Sept - Went to my parents house to see my dad only stayed a short while as dad not good and very tired. I was glad to see my dad even though he was very quiet. Mum said dad didn't want to talk about the cancer at all so we just chatted about tv sport etc.

Tues 6th Sept - Dad is taken into hospital he is having breathing issues and has to have a chest drain. 

Sun 11th Sept - Dad is now in a different hospital and we have been told he has lymphoma cancer but do not know what lymphoma or what stage he is at. I fear dad has told the doctors not to talk to us. Myself and my sister go with my mum to see dad. He is very quiet, not eating much and certainly not up for guests we leave after 30mins. I think dad is in total shock. We still can't talk about the cancer which is now starting to irritate me as I much prefer to know what I'm dealing with. I hope that soon I can talk to dad about the cancer, only time will tell. I know he knows as chemo is hopefully starting this week.

Mon 12th Sept - Waiting to hear when dad starts chemo and what chemo he will have. Hoping dad will allow us to talk to the doctor soon. Overall i just want my friendly chatty dad back.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

When my husband got his diagnosis he was just the same. A lovely man on here, Steve, reassured me that he was the same and it is as though talking about it is letting the cancer become a part of them, letting it win sort of, by focussing on themselves they are fighting it. Some men dont want to let that guard down and it is early days yet. You are a loving daughter and so supportive, just hang in there. Your mum and dad both need you but you will need to be patient with them both which is so frustrating. keep loving each other and take care of yourself too, have time for relaxation, this will be a long hard road for all of you. Stay positive and have lots of hugs, love leisha xxx