Bit of a Down Day

Less than one minute read time.

Felt a bit down today over my inability to eat ' normally ' - apart from my recent success in managing some bread with soup, I am still finding it quite difficult to move the food with my tongue. I realise that this may be largely due to the extensive surgery and radiation, but after almost three years I was hoping to be way further along. Maybe I am expecting too much - or do I have to come to terms with the fact that I may never eat ' normal ' food again and be grateful that at least I am alive ? Normally I try to be optimistic about everything - perhaps it's just a ' bad hair day ' - I guess that I should be thankful for where I am at the moment and snap out of it. Tomorrow is another day !

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Joycee, will post on the head and neck cancer group, where you also posted a message.  Might be able to make some practical suggestions, as husband Mike had the same combination of surgery (on his tongue in his case, plus partial neck dissection) and radiotherapy (30 sessions).  He can't move food around his mouth either, but has found a way to 'eat' tasty and nutritious meals nonetheless.  Speak soon in another place!  Cathy XXXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just a bit of an up-date to my ' Down Day ' - I took Jackie's advice about the soft cake, well it actually consisted of an individual strawberry trifle with the usual jelly, cream and custard with the soft sponge. I found it most enjoyable, albeit a Morrison's own brand, but it's another welcome item to add to the menu and a success is really cheering ! Love, Joycee xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm glad you managed the the trifle! I'm sure you will move forward with the food Joyce. I'm finding odd things like asparagus cup a soup I can taste but virtually nothing else. The rt is making my mouth verysore now and I have three weeks To go.

Take care of you

Jayne x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Trifle sounds great Joycee.  Jaynestar, good luck with the RT.  Cathy