Day One

Less than one minute read time.

Well my strange mood has gone – I’ve got over myself after a little chat with Rooby Booby (thanks Roobs ).

I am BRCA1+ and found this out a few weeks ago. Since then, I have had a breast MRI which is clear (phew) and today I spent first hour of my day in the company of my new consultant (still have the old one too – am a bit greedy like that) and now have a breast care nurse too. How lucky am I to have all these lovely people looking after me, and that’s why I’ve got over myself because others aren’t so fortunate, are they?

So watch and wait for 12 months or so and then maybe some new pert boobies if the decision is mastectomy – preventative surgery, don’t you know! I am going to look like a hot cross bun once they’ve finished with me.

But this is better than the alternative..... Lots more talking and thinking to do....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Once you get your head round the BRACA bit it's all good-lots of clever people checking you out and giving support. I had ovarian cancer at 45 and although was going with the regular check up bit- just decided really couldn't be bothered with the stress so had decided to have a masectomy by the time I saw the boob surgeon for our frst chat- took him by surprise! Fab experience with a great breast surgeon and a brilliant plastic surgeon working together. I opted to turn 50 next year with the pert boobs of a 25 year old so have a reconstructed perfect 34B completed with some fab medical tattooing by a great breast recon nurse who should have been an artist! No visible scars and no sagging just an element of regret I didn't follow my instinct and have butterflies tattood instead of the standard nipple-struggled a bit when I was asked what colour I wanted never really looked that closely. My sister also opted for masectomy as well as hysterectomy -she now has the large bust she always wanted and somewhat of a killer cleavage. Not got to the stage of checking out the kids as they are too young- but knowing we have 4 Bracas in immediate family means we know it will benefit them to be tested in due course and it's not all bad whatever the outcome.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Julia.

i hope you are keeping well.

I too am BRCA1 carrier, found out in Feb this year.  My double mastectomy is a week on thursday. How have you found your "journey" so far? Ive not had such a good experience but as you say this is better then the alternative. 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Weeaims!

I am fine thank you for asking. I have continued to remain well and clear of the OC devil and now that I have been in remission for 2 years, have surgery for the double mastectomy next month. So you are 'being done' before me.

I never did update this blog as intended as have found the decision making process incredibly difficult and could not express this sensibly in words without depressing the hell out of you all! The psych helped immensely and in fact has allowed me to put some other stuff to bed as well. Getting the surgery date has lifted a huge weight off my shoulders.

I wish you lots and lots of good luck and gentle hugs for next week. Some of this stuff is quite hard to talk about in open forum so if you want to Friend me, we can talk about the gory details more privately if you wish.

Julia XX