what's it all about

Less than one minute read time.

my wife has just been diagnosed...starts chemotherapy on monday 23rd. it's a horrible new experience for us both.   are we being wrong in being apprehensive.  we hear so many different stories about friend's friend's friends and their experiences. but have never really come in contact with any one who has undergone chemo.  you can read up on the subject but it's not the same as hearing from someone who has gone through the procedure.    any comments would be welcome [ as long as they are not all doom and gloom ]

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jim1943,

First, all the best wishes to your wife and to you.

I felt apprehensive as hell and had a lot of dark thoughts, you are no different. But don't let it consume you.

There are quite a few different types of chemo and different ways of receiving it. My way was tablet which avoided lots of pricks (no pun intended) and I was lucky in that I had only mild side effects for a short time, sore mouth was the worst. Mostly I felt cold and tired towards the end. I rested a lot and watched lots of DVD's of comedy, because I honestly believe laughing helped me get through the boredom. (This was advice I got from a friend who had chemo a few years before.) I know the last thing you can probably think about is being funny, but that is honestly what helped me.

Keeping looking in on here and talking cos that will also help you.

Take care my friend.

Tim

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My best wishes to you both.

As Tim has said there are many different forms of chemo and ways to administer it.

Everyone reacts differently, everyone has a different experience.

Mine wasn't too bad I had chemo fortnightly for 6 months and it had an accumalative affect.

The more I had the more tired I got.

That really was the worst side affect for me so I just rested.

Of course you are apprehensive we all were. I was really scared.

Ask lots of questions of your oncologist, if they are as nice as mine then they will inform you of what could be expected, the operative word is could because as I have already said everyones experience is unique to them.

Good Luck to you both.

Love Julie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello, Im very new to this site; My chemo ran from January-May this year. My main problems were lethargy and a sore mouth which developed after about 3 treatments. I look back on it now, time has flown so fast, and it's been a bizarre but great experience. I've learnt to take each day and chill out, if I dont feel like it I dont do it!!  I focussed my mind on waiting for the good days to return (with me, i felt ill for 10 days after each treatment) and when I felt better, it was a kind of energy that buzzed all thru me and i felt like doing everything i could in the short time left before my next dose.

I achieved good things on chemo--new friends i made, a TV in my bedroom, And a dishwasher!!

Say to yourself, when youre feeling as low as low, "This too shall pass"  and just be tuned in to what your body is wanting, carrot sticks were my cravings at one stage!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there,

I think everyone is apprehensive before hand. I was terrified if i am honest and it wasn't half as bad as I imagined and you do deal with it. Like the others said, there are so many different types. I had mine in a portable pump that i had to carry home for a week at a time, the other was an injection. Others have drips and tablets etc. The hospital will tell you the side efffects of her particular one and they will help with them too.There are lots of things to help with the sore mouth, feeling sick etc so I would say ask and ask and don't ever be a martyr. If they aren't working, ask for something else. Each one has its own side effects and each person reacts differently too so hard to say without knowing what she is taking. Some cause constipation, others diarrhoea for example. If you want specific advice, go to the cancer group forum and post in there.

Good luck with it all and you will find lots of support here from lots of lovely people. And don't listen to the friend of a friend stuff... drives you nuts and its usually untrue..

Big hug to you and your wife

Little My xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jim and wife!

I had six cycles of taxol and carboplatin for stage 1c ovarian cancer three years ago in Oct 2008. The first session was the worst because you don't know what to expect, but the support and chats to other ladies was great and strangely the sessions were something I came to look forward to as a positive thing- another step towards getting rid of the beasties and new friends each time. Plus we got loads of chocs,  treats, free lunch (wine at Xmas)!!

I actually got quite a lot of the side effects (everyone is different) but the chemo nurses were fantastic and had a solution for them all- if the first didn't work they tried again with something else.  I hadn't wanted any of it- the disease, lack of control or treatment, but you just get on with it as it happens and a treat ahead like a day out or mini holiday works wonders!!!

I'm lucky enough to still be in remission three years on despite a few scares. I wish you and your wife well for the future.

Polly xx