Port a cath didn't work again!!

Less than one minute read time.

Hi everybody,

I had my chemo no. 5 today and it is the 3rd time I have used the port. It is still very painful to use (even the nurse cried today because she saw how much it hurt) and as usual it would not give them any blood. They said I should have a lineogram (x ray) to check why it doesn't. I am allergic to the contrast they use for ct scans so they said I can't have the x ray as they use the same stuff. Now the nurse is saying that she can't use the port without checking it with an x ray. So what do I do? I only had the port put in because the onc said my veins are too difficult to access and anyway would not hold up through the chemo regime.Now it looks as if I should have it out!! I'm fed up with it all. If anyone has any experience of these things please tell me about it.

Thanks Jen XX

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jen.....Had my port in recently and like you they couldn't get blood even with flushing, I had my fluid and walked around and finally the next flush brought forth blood. Hope all goes well....love Carol x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

oh damn jen, i have a picc and its working very nicely, only didnt have port cos it would have held up the chemo, i hope they sort it for you soon, its not nice to go through that as well as everything else ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

liz xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks liz and Carol. I remember you threatening to do a strip to get a port Carol. My port was acting up then so I bit my lip and didn't post about it then but it really hurts even now.

you are both very brave.

Love Jen