Nothing to eat from Midnight

2 minute read time.

This is it then - the final blog before surgery.

I've done as instructed, phoned in to check all is well and what time I'm on the slab and received my first shock, which isn't bad seeing as we're still a day away.  Apparently I'm first on the list which means I've to be at the hospital for 7.15am - now I think that's early, imagine what my daughter, who has volunteered to give me a lift, is going to think............I could be walking in!!

So now all the thoughts and fears begin to kick in.  What's going to be stuck where when I wake up?  Which bits will be hurting?  How much feeling will I lose and where?  Will my mouth drop on the left? Am I going to lose the ability to lift my left arm above shoulder level?  What will be the 70's hit on Hospital radio when I come round?  The answer to these and many more questions will be available at some point tomorrow - later rather than sooner I imagine, as I'm in theatre for a 'good 5 hours' (to quote my consultant). 

Much of my nervousness comes from the fact that I am so utterly not in control of what happens tomorrow.  I am totally in the hands of a relative stranger who is doing things which are way beyond my comprehension and he's doing them to me.  Would we trust somebody we didn't know with so much responsibility in any other situation?  Probably not.

Now here's a thought.  How many mistakes do you make in your working day?  Hmmm.........

When I had my first cancer related op back in April the nurse preparing me told me not to be worried about asking the surgeon anything at all because "at the end of the day he's only a bloke doing his job'.

"He doesn't want to be" was my reply "I know what people just doing their job are like.  This guy needs to be a superstar."

Now I know we all have a moan and groan about the NHS but on the whole they do a bloody good job.  I have had very little to complain about thus far other than waiting around.  When it's come to treatment and aftercare everyone I have come into contact with have been first rate and all have been superstars.  The added bonus is that I get this stupendous service for free, except it isn't really free is it - have you ever looked at how much NI is deducted from your wages?  That though is a discussion for another day.

OK better go and pack my dressing gown and sandals (oh yes they're going with me) and before you all start -  I've only got a dressing gown for when I'm in the hospital, it isn't part of my normal daily attire.

Finally on a serious note, I forgot to list probably the biggest concern over what faces me when I come round tomorrow - What will the person who was in the bed before me have ordered for tea?

Catch up with y'all in a few days.

Stay positive - have fun.

Steve

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sorry to hear that the op was cancelled and you have been messed around, especially after all the prep work.  Being new to all this your blogs are refreshing and reassuring

THANKYOU :) x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

That's pretty crap!  After getting all geared up and ready to go, and worrying about superstars and what the previous incumbent of the bed liked to eat..

Does the new date collide with another important fixture?

Now that you've looked out the dressing gown and sandals, I think you should be the team pin-up and post a pic.  Then LM can lust after you to her heart's content!  The hot flushes she gets will help her lose her post-holiday weight gain and stay in the size zero jeans a bit longer!

As far as the after effects of surgery are concerned, I've always thought that being able to raise your hands over your head was vastly over-rated, and I certainly have some some difficulty with that myself these days.  Not something that immediately springs to mind as a symptom of lung cancer but apparently it's something to do with the circulation and nerve pain.  

It would only be a real problem if you were caught in an armed robbery attempt and the police told you to raise your hands.  So if you had plans to start any riots in the coming future, you might want to wait and see how you feel post-surgery!

Sorry about the disappointing cancellation, but it does mean you can tuck in and have a midnight feast!

Keep smiling.

Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Steve,

Sorry you have been left in limbo - waiting for surgery - do not want to worry you but there is a rumour on the site he is seeking advice and instructions from the trainee surgeon - Little my - now that is scarry  mate.

I had a friend who never ate after midnight  and avoided water - sorry the booze, none duty free,  from LM has kicked in - that was my Gremlin.

My mum Made me get rid of him  to a chinese guy

Cheers mate

John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

OOOOHHH please post a piccie, please.... phew, hot again just at the thought of it... oh no,just the free NHS early menopause...

So sorry to hear about the cancelled op, especially after your night of starvation... how will you recover? Stock up tonight on takeaways etc eh?

Seriously, that is really really crap and I am sorry for you- did they say why???

Tempted to go and train just to fit you in.. actually how much fun would it be to be your lots surgeon? I could do a John and wake you up with shouts of oops can you live without that? haha. Better go and resit that pesky maths A level... Still on the oxymoron of a 'fit note'though so you are safe for a wee while yet.... get it booked in soon before I am actually considered fit to work...

Hope it doesn't now clash with anything footzzzzballish zzzz

Big hug gorgeous

Little My xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just to wish you the very best of luck for tomorrow - it'll be over before  you know it.  Ann x