Guess who’s back, back again

2 minute read time.

And we are back to the chemotherapy outpatients ward! Last week I was there for my pre assessment. Back to blood taken, getting weighed, covid tests and more books to fill out. I hadn’t realised how much I had missed the girls there until I went back for the first time in 8 weeks. They are literally the best people on earth. I had my chemo appointment yesterday afternoon and picked up my new treatment. Coming away with only 2 boxes of tablets was nice compared to the bag of goodies I usually have to contend with. I’m taking a 2300mg dose twice a day over 6 tablets and no other medication to go with it. Let’s hope it stays like that and the symptoms are manageable. It is quite a lot compared to the usual recommended starting dose of 1000mg per day. I’m taking nearly 5 times that.

I’m 24 hours in now and so far so good. The most common symptoms are loss of nails and skin on hands and feet and an upset tummy. Those things are a walk in the park. Because the sickness is not meant to be as bad as previous treatments I’m no longer on a ridiculous amount of steroids. My head has recently resumed its normal size and I really didn’t want to swell up like a balloon again. It’s also too cold to be only able to wear flip flops. I’m 1 stone lighter than I was at my last chemo appointment so this is good news. I will get wrong if I lose any more though (even though I’m still 2 stone heavier pre cancer) so I’ll have to keep an eye on that.

Over the last few weeks my mastectomy scar has been a bit of a pain. I’ve had to go weekly to get it drained and the seroma seems to be coming back quicker after each aspiration. When I went yesterday, they took a sample of fluid to check for infection. I don’t feel unwell, but it is still very sore and tight today. There hasn’t been any relief after having it drained at all. Hopefully there’s no infection as they don’t like chemo and antibiotics to be taken at the same time.

I’m still waiting for my Radiotherapy dates but to be honest I’m hoping that’s in the new year now. Start 2022 with something new and exciting lol. I think having chemo over Christmas is enough without any added extras that aren’t involving loads of tequila.

Anonymous
  • Welcome back (well sort of...as I think we'd all be delighted if no cancer and no need for this site). Sounds like all going smoothly on the chemo front so far, which is great. Those pills look quite innocent, so keeping everything crossed that side effects are minor! Annoying on the scar, hoping no infection. Having done the radiotherapy I can safely say that it was a piece of cake in comparison to the chemo, 5 minutes of lying still and done each day, so quite relaxing, especially if having a busy day! Keep chugging along you are doing great. . 

• This is good news on the radiotherapy front A couldn't be dealing with more drama on top of more chemo  Joy I hope your doing well too Hugging

• Hope the side effects are keeping away for you. If you don’t mind me asking what drug is that? I’ve been told I have to have more chemo (via tablet) but when I asked side effects I was told to wait until nearer the time… (I’m getting radiotherapy first - when they get around to it…)  so when I wake up worrying I get to imagine the worse rather than them just answering…

Hope your scar is behaving itself

• Hi  I'm on Capecitabine oral chemo for 6 cycles. There is so many different oral versions and strengths. From the 3 different treatments I've had, you get advised of the same side effects. It's just pot luck what you get Joy I suppose everyone reacts differently and depending on the strength too. 

• Thanks

I keep hearing about the same side effects too, was hoping you would have got better answers than I’ve had!