IronMan Bolton 2013 Race Report

6 minute read time.

IronMan Bolton Race Report

In August of this year I found myself in Bolton to race Ironman UK – regarded as one of the hardest Ironman’s in the World. Excited yet slightly confused at how crazy this challenge was. I had experienced hardly any nerves in the build up to the race until they erupted inside me suddenly
three hours before the start as I woke up. It was 03:00 and the hotel window was being beaten by teaming rain descending down upon it. Not what you want to hear especially when you had not even considered packing a coat or even a long sleeve top with you. Breakfast was okay, I have a routine, two bowls of muesli, and two slices of my wifes date cake, followed by a Snickers bar 30 minutes before the swim start. This is my routine every time before every race. I think that really helps, not having to worry about what you may eat at breakfast as you know before hand, and no matter how nervous you may be, just stick to it, you’ll need that energy! You also know it’s not going to mess with your tummy! Fortunately the rain had stopped when we arrived at Pennington Flash, the location for the lake swim, which was a huge relief. I placed my water on the bike, got changed into my wetsuit, queued for the loo and then it was time to line up for the start. I had no time to be nervous or reflect on what I was about to embark on from that point on. As anyone who has raced an Ironman or triathlon with a mass deep water start can testify, it can be the scariest part of the day. You get hit, swam over, dunked, and is, therefore, a huge source of anxiety for probably 80% of the field. But if you know this you can avoid the worst by swimming way out to the side, this is what I did, I’m small and I’m never going to come out on top in a battle with some of the behemoths in there  so I’d rather swim smooth and in my own time out to the side. I entered the water knowing that I had to be relaxed and needed to enjoy the swim and not panic. Maybe treat it as a warm up to what was to come. I knew that if I pushed hard here then it could cost me 20 minutes or more on the bike, so I was delighted when I finished the 1st lap in 38 mins feeling very relaxed and comfortable. This was my fastest 1.9km ever. This was incredible for me but knowing I had one more lap sobered me up, but still, I had done it once all I had to do was repeat! I had suffered the usual bumps and grinds but recomposed myself and loved it. There was a little more open water on the second lap as those that had gone off too fast slowed down leaving more room for the rest of us. I came out of the swim in just over 1:20 which was 20 minutes faster than I had expected!

the bike....

The bike course consists of an outward leg to reach a 30 mile loop that takes in the infamous Sheep House Lane climb. Under normal circumstances it would not be an issue and pretty easy to summit, but on the third ascent it gets a little bit tiring and you search for more gears at certain sections. Once at the top I was greeted with magnificent views and a lovely gentle descent before starting to climb again through rolling roads. The TT bikes came zooming past me here leaving me for dust in the trail. But this is more my legs than the bikes i have to say - note for 2014 - work more on the bike!

One thing that did help me was the ability to change a tyre. I suffered from a pucture of my rear well on the last lap. Luckily i had changed tyres so often in the last month (kitting out my bike, my wife's bike, on and off the turbo) that i was confident changing a tyre. This is a huge plus and something i would recommend everyone practice as the organisers will not help you change a tyre, and it's expected you do it yourself. Indeed outside assistance is grounds for expulsion! I think this cost me maybe 20 minutes, but as soon as i'd changed the tyre i just pushed as hard as i could. I never ride with a clock or watch, personnaly i find the lack of knowledge of how long i have left stops me either coasting or panicking, i just go as well as i can for as long as i can.

i finished the bike in 6:56 which was 8:22 since race start so i knew now i had plenty of time for the run and the panic was off. i knew i would finish it's was just a matter of time. I'm not a strong cyclist but this is definitely the bit of the race that makes the most difference, if you can go at a reasonable pace and not be exhausted it makes the run so much easier. I think i average about 25km/h which is not quick, but i had practised hills which helps tremendously, especially with any race in the UK!!!

the run...

You always wonder how your legs will cope on the run especially after such a long bike ride. The route into Bolton took us along a canal bank before hitting a spectator-lined loop we would go around 4 times. It was with relief that i found my legs felt fine, and i was determined to run as far as Bolton and then walk as needed.  I was not sure if I would like running a loop that enabled me to see everyone coming the other way at all times but it turned out if was great, you passed jazz bands, cheering supporters, and my wife - who gave me great encouragement on all of my laps. I found i was able to maintain a slow but steady pace for the whole distance, a good 90 seconds a km slower than my usual run pace but still steady, and i walked each aid station to ensure i got the fluids i needed. I also stuck to bananas and ritz biscuits. The gels look fancy and sound great but i always find they upset my stomach, so bananas and water were the message of the day. 

All in all i staggered across the line in 12:44 which was way ahead of my wildest dreams, and felt fantastic. Never have the words 'you are an Ironman' sounded so good!

Anonymous