Giz a job!

2 minute read time.

Hiya you lot just wanted to update you on the job front.

GP appointment went really well and he was very supportive giving me ideas and making me see I was just lacking a bit of confidence.  I seem to think I have no skills after such a long time out of work but i'm willing to give anything a go honest guv!!!!

He suggested I go home and pick up the phone to DWP to start the ball rolling.  SOOOOO that's exactly what I did.  A very helpful lady explained the protocal.  I get an appointment at the jobcentre with a disability advisor.  They give me a skills assessment to see what job would be suitable and I go off to do any kind of training etc. Look and get a job but for the 1st year it cant't be more than 16 hours to see if i'm OK.  The system seems very fair in that you are eased back gently with no pressure, though I am an impatient person and want  to run before walk, so a year with let's see how you go and being monitored seems very long to me, but hey ho and off we go.

Right, next I rang the good old jobcentre and explained my situation. They opened a file for me and took details.  Then the advisor rang me to make an appointment.  Here's the funny bit, brace yourselves!!!!! She explained that her diary was very full and she was the only advisor in our large area. 29th Juune was the next available slot!!! WHAT, REALLY, so can I look for work ar find a job myself in the meantime. No the skill assessment has to be done, it takes about an hour, but o slot till then.  So I sit here still on benefit that I don't want till then.  Now does that make economic sense and does it sound like an efficiant system of getting the disbled back to work.  And remember I went to them and asked tee hee :)))))).  Maybe they shoul employ a few more advisors to get more people through the system faster or is that too simple???

Anyway, here I am waiting and wondering.  Oh well  it's a lovely sunny day here though a bit cols so I think i'll go walk the dog, then come back do the hoovering and maybe even dust today, 'cos let's face it I do have quiite a bit of time on my hands :))))))))))

Take care all

Jan xxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jan

This made me laugh as I had to go for an interview at the Jobcentre, and 5 follow-ups to assess my fitness to work and help needed with skills, otherwise I was likely to lose benefits.....BUT.....

I was in the middle of chemo, and waiting for a SCT which was last chance of conquering Murraymint. I could barely walk into the centre from the car park. When I queried why I was having to go through this charade when we live in an area of high unemployment, and their time would be spent getting well people into work, I was told that it was because I was Incapacity benefit and not the new ESA which only required one interview, and i couldn't be transferred onto ESA!!!

Sit down and make a list of skills you have. You will surprise yourself. You are good at listening to people, and supporting people. You know the support needed by carers and people who have chronic/life limiting diseases. You have organisational skills, and don't forget that you are an ace cleaner with a vaccuum. Haha!!!

Local hospitals usually need helpers for taking drinks, magazines and choklit to patients, even on this site you may find something in your area. At the MacMillan centre based in my hospital they were volunteers who had recovered from cancer and were giving something back.

Good luck in your search and don't get discouraged if things take longer than you would wish

xxxxxxxxxx