A pariticularly bothersome week in which rabbit's list was essential.

2 minute read time.

Sunday afternoon  and finally I get to catch up on here as i've only managed to read friends statuses a few times last week. 

Anyone who knows me on the site will also know my dad isn't coping well after falling whilst dog walking.  Well he fell again on Monday but wasn't hurt.  Then two more falls at home one of which was in the night and my poor mum tried to struggle with him for two hours 'cos she didn't want to disturb us. In the end she phoned me upset and we went out to put him back to bed and I slept over.

From there things have gone down hill rapidly day on day.  Tuesday, we met our mMacmillan nurse for the first time and she was absolutely brilliant and immediately put a care plan into place.  From there, we've had district nurse, g.p., home bladder scan, home bloods, ocupational health, physio and carers all refferred, some seen and some awaiting.

Up until Friday afternoon I have been caring for him with my sister round the clock.  He has become almost immobile and so quickly with no answer yet as to why??  The stairs are almost immpossible to manage and not safe, all personal hygiene and toiletting needs assistance.  I've nursed for many years on an elderly dementia ward but it's heartbreaking when it's your dad.

I was so relieved that the district nurse had put carers into place for Friday evening onwards.  Then the crunch came.  A distraugtht phone call from mum that the carers couldn't take him up or down stairs due to health and safety.  An extra stair rail was on order but he had deteriorated that fast it would be of no use and a downstairs bed was required.  Until thats in place (and we're still waiting even as i type), the carers are of no use.  Hey ho, i've now done day four of getting him up, my sister does putting to bed and we share night oncall duty.

Sorry for the woffle, but you are all up to date on the janbo front now.  My lists  have been long and they are being ticked off.  There are many crossings out and adaptings on there.  Any advice on my last entry??? If bed doesn't arrive where does dad sleep?  If we manage upstairs I think he will be stuck up there for good.  Settee is unsafe, he'll fall off.  Camp bed is too low.  Ho hum what a dillemma.  Maybe I could utilize LM's invincibles and Tim's rope and tight line to make a hammock, what do you think?

If i'm not around you know why now.  Take care everyone and I hope you are all ok, especially those for chemo and hossie and appointment or result waiting.

Onwards and upwards

Love Jan xx

ps. here are some of rabbits useful tips.

Delegate on those busy days.

Stop to pass the time of day

Taking a break restores your energy levels

That'll do for now bye bye xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Huge {{{{{Jan}}}}}

Poor you - you've really got it rough at the moment haven't you hun?  Hope the bed comes soon and if I were you I would spend tomorrow on the phone pestering them until it does!

Your poor Dad must be absolutely exhausted by it all and it's just not fair on him in any way shape or form.  I despair sometimes, I really do!

Hope that things get sorted soon Jan.

Much love,

Nin xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jan,

Just sending you the biggest hug and some strength for all of this. Do not overdo it please as you need to look after yourself too... !!!

I would buy a cheap single bed from argos or somewhere or borrow someone's spare bed that you cn put up  for the meantime till the other one arrives if it is going to be ages...

cwtches and big hugs to you

Little My xxx

ps make sure you do what you say on your list about delegating and taking time to restore your batteries eh?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My dad had a stroke from which he never recovered; I think that spoon-feeding him yogurt and watching him dribbling it out the other side of his mouth might be one of the worst experiences of my life. Which is my way of saying, I have some idea of how you feel, although obviously every case is different.

Rabbit's tips are all excellent ones, and I hope you make good use of them.

Downstairs bed sounds essential to me - I hope you get something sorted soon.

*hugs* in the meantime. Lots of *hugs*, to all of you. Not least your poor dad.

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Jan,

Oh, I do hope that they get the bed sorted out quickly - but as Nin said, keep pestering them. Your Dad is lucky having a daughter like yourself, take care.

Love and (((((((((( hugs ))))))))))

Joycee xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sorry to hear all this Jan!

I agree with LM, beg borrow or steal a single bed and get it in - you can sell/freecycle it when the ordered one arrives!

I wish I had a way of checking that you are following rabbit's advice!!

Take LOTS of care of yourself and I'm sending MUCH love and hugs to you, your dad, and everyone else in your family!

Lots of love and strength to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx