Days 7 and 8

Less than one minute read time.

I don't consider myself a big drinker but I really miss wine.

This week I am spending 3 days as a "brown owl" figure (a brownie leader for those not in the know). It's busy and fun but 7 year olds have a lot of energy. When I came home I burnt the veg to my otherwise perfectly cooked roast. Smoked peas anyone? 

It's days like that where I'd open a Merlot and have one glass maybe two.

I have stayed true. Although I wonder if it's because I removed most of the alcohol before October began.

All I can say is today I'm showing my commitment to Macmillan by jot giving in. That and the hundreds of other sober heroes can't beat me! 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's amazing how often I would reach for a drink or a cigarette in the belief having one or the other, or both, would solve or help me solve a situation. Neither did.

I haven't drunk much in years, as a result I now enjoy drinking much more than ever, I yearn for that after meal cigarette, especially when eating al fresco, but I know it would not nor could not end there, so that is totally off limits.

You're doing well. If, after this abstinence has ended, you are able to look a wine bottle and think, "I'll use the vac-u-vin after a glass" rather than pouring out another glass as it "won't do me any harm", then you have achieved a hell of a lot.

You will, at the very least, enjoy and appreciate alocohol and its pleasures much more. Keep going. I can't the only one rooting for you.

Tim