T-5 and counting. Returning to work after 10 months off...eek

2 minute read time.

Over the past couple of months I have been planning my return to work and finally got the last sign off yesterday. This is something I have been pushing for in my quest to get back to normality but now it is getting close, I confess to being a little apprehensive. I am due back on 1 August and that is only a few days away...

After such a long time, most of which was spent not having the energy or inclination to do very much  I do wonder how I will cope! I am only doing 3 hours a day for 2 or 3 days a week for the first couple of weeks, increasing my hours/days over a long period of time until I am doing my contracted hours. When putting together the plan, I thought at the time that it wasn’t enough. Now I realise it is not just being at work, it is reconnecting with my work colleagues, understanding the changes  - I work in IT for a large FSA company and change was constant and fast when I was full time, not just technology but rules, laws and regulations that IT had to comply with and often time bound - and being once again thrust into a hectic and challenging role. The role was always mentally challenging, knowing there could be financial or reputational damage for the company if my decision making wasn’t sound or project timelines and milestones were missed. Looking back at my return to work plan now, I am relieved that I will be easing very gently into my role and full time hours! 

I haven’t shed a tear, not one, since diagnosis and part of me wonders whether I have bottled up all of those emotions and at some point when I am back doing the things I was doing pre diagnosis the top will come off! I am always good in a crisis but have been known to turn into a shaky mess once the crisis is over. I know that my work colleagues will be there for me if that happens but I certainly do not relish the thought of having a meltdown anywhere, let alone amongst my colleagues. I am not someone who cries...in fact I can’t remember the last time I had a good bawl. What I do know is thatI am an ugly crier! Red puffy eyes, snotty nose, the whole works! Nope, don’t want to do that in front of anyoneGrimacing

Que sera, sera. 

Anonymous
  • <p>I am also worried about going back to work , i finished my treatment end of&nbsp; nov 2018 cancer gone, but still have side effects .had base of tongue cancer and 2nd cancer in my&nbsp;&nbsp;<b>lymph nodes .the treatments was not that bad was lucky in that sense but after effects are still on going , saliva&nbsp;glands don,t work very well like snot in my mouth find hard to swallow don,t enjoy food as no taste buds ( but could always&nbsp;taste milk and black pepper ) still suffer from&nbsp;<span>fatigue and chemo fog,( even forget my own phone number now ) find it hard to do little jobs around the house .I was self employed doing painting, carpentry and loads of other stuff , now not sure what i will be able to do .Was very active , and i hope i will be again in the future .</span></b></p>
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    <p>Hi roo-uk.&nbsp;</p> <p>It must be harder to find the strength to return to work when not only are you suffering from some horrible long lasting side effects but are self employed in a physical job. I have found that even working for 3 hours a day for 3 days a week was challenging but as I said previously I have a great employer with a lot of support processes in place. The hardest thing for me is my lack of focus. I find myself flitting from one thing to another whilst never quite finishing anything. That may be because I do so few hours and it will be better when I start to work a bit longer but it frustrates me personally as I work in a very target driven environment and I am used to hitting deadlines and completing projects. Time will tell.&nbsp;</p> <p>it took a long time for my taste buds to come back but I can now taste most foods which makes eating 6 times a day a little easier. My dietician recommended pineapple to help with that...it did work so might be worth a try if you haven&rsquo;t already done so.&nbsp;</p> <p>My husband suffered issues with his salivary glands as he has a pituitary tumour and his GP prescribed him some spray to help. Again, might be worth asking your medical team what they can prescribe.&nbsp;</p> <p>I have my fingers crossed that you get some relief from these side effects and start to overcome the fatigue. I didn&rsquo;t know what fatigue was until I was going through and recovering from treatment and that was the worst part for me - having to sit down to brush my teeth because I didn&rsquo;t have the strength to stand, being breathless after walking 50 metres. It did get better and I hope that you will soon find your situation improves.</p>