Our journey is over, my lovely dad has gone :( xx

4 minute read time.

From the start dad knew he was facing a massive fight, with two primary cancers, both of which are big killers, it was never going to be easy.  His objective - get to Chritmas and he did.

We brought him home from hospital on Thursday last week, late morning it was.  We settled him in.  He had a hospital bed, hoist and wheelchair.  We all had a little sleep after we'd been to the chippy.  We talked a lot that night, he said that he wanted to be buried, in a 3 man grave so mum can join him and if i'm ever alone when my time comes, there is space for me.  He said he would always be with me and I can talk to him anytime, that the only difference will be that I won't be able to see him.  We felt at peace.  The oncologist cannot hurt us anymore, our journey was nearly over, there would be no more surprises, not more complications, just the final stretch ahead.  Dad seemed in good spirits that night.  Christmas eve we had the family round and had a nice day.  Dad was very tired and didn't seem his normal happy self.  He sent us all on his way quite early and took to his bed.  He texted us all and said that he was in bed and comfortable.  Christmas day he didn't get up much, he wasn't eating and mum said that she thought he had given up.  Boxing day we again had the family around but dad only managed to be up for a couple of hours.

I got a text from mum at 5.30am on 27th December saying that she'd rang the doctor has he had a temperature and his breathing was really rattling.  It had been a little bit like that over the previous two days but once he was up he seemed to improve.  The district nurse who came every day said just to keep an eye on his temperature.  A doctor came at 6.30am and prescribed antibiotics and gave us a prescription for something to help his breathing.  I went to find a chemist and it was Buscopan.  We have this at home in injection form for the district nurse so I rang her to come and help him.  She arrived around 10am.  By this time he seemed really distressed, his pulse was very fast, his eyes were rolling and he didn't know who we were or where he was.  Not all the time, but in stages.  She said it was lack of oxygen that was making him delirious.  She explained that he had developed an aggressive infection and there were 2 choices, either treat at home with oral antibiotics or call an ambulance, go through A&E and have intravenous antibiotics, but she thought the infection was taking hold and time was of the essence.  Dad was adamant he wasn't going to hospital.  She said she was going to give him something to calm him down, relax him.  She said that he was going to die and it would be today, to ring anyone who needs to be here.  Just before his injection I held his hand, kissed him, told him I loved him and he kissed my hand.  I said the nurse was going to give him something to relax him and it was going to be ok.  I left him with mum for her to say goodbye.  After the sedative his breathing slowed right down, mum held his hand and I stood behind mum.  My sister had gone to put the kettle on and after 4 slow, deep breaths, he took his last.  We could not believe it was so fast.  Even the nurse was shocked.  But dad had planned his last hour, he had said numerous times that he didn't want things drawn out, that we sit round his bed for hours, days waiting for him to go, he was adamant.  As soon as he knew he was going to stay in his bed and we had said goodbye he knew it was time.  He wanted to get through Christmas and he had done that.

I feel so incredibly proud of dad, the final 6 months of his life were the hardest, he was battling with two primary cancers, both of which were spreading.  He had 4 major things happen to him that he embraced, even one of those would be life changing for anyone.  But the loss of the use of his legs hit him hard, all he wanted was to stand up once more to hug my mum, but he never got the chance.  He was home for 5 days.  It seems so unfair, but the last couple of months particulary were so very hard for him, yet he carried on, kept on smiling right up until the end.

I know dad will be with me always - althought I cannot feel that now.  I do know that if I walk down the same ugly road, I will walk in my dad's footsteps knowing he is holding my hand and waiting for me.  I feel very proud to call him my dad and i will miss him every single second, every single day for the rest of my life.

My lovely dad.  I love you. xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Thank you all for your loving thoughts and hugs. Today I'm registering his death and we begin to plan his send off. I said to my dads big sister I am dreading it, but she said this is dads big day, it has to be all he wants full of love and happy memories. We will give him a wonderful send off. Our journey is over. Cancer may have taken my dad, ripped him of everything, but itll never take away the love we shared and our wonderful memories. I learnt so much about dad throughout this journey and we became closer then I ever thought possible. And as I continue on my life's path, with dad beside me I will be strong, learn to smile again and make him proud of me once more. My heart breaks for everyone on their own journey and will support anyone who needs me. Thank you my mac family xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Molly,

Such strength, love and courage you have shown through your journey where cancer has touched your family.  Your heartfelt words here are totally empathised by me and I know that the strength, love and courage will continue through your dad's special funeral day and beyond.  It will comfort you and you will feel at peace because although your dad along with you and your family had to face the cancer;  He did so with strength, family love and courage and together you all remain forever PROUD.

Take care forever onwards

Love Jan xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Molly, you are a truly marvellous person, Your Dad was obviously well loved and cared for by all of you. Be proud of yourself , you are doing a great job, but make sure you take care of your self too. My love to you and your family, and as I have been known at times to be unladylike and have a pint, I will have one for your Dad. Take care. Love Jackie xxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Molly,

My thoughts are with you and your Family this very sad day,at least you and your Mum will know that your Dad is Painfree and at peace. May he  R.I.P.  Look after eachother.

Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Molly, so sorry to hear you have lost you darling Dad....It brought tears to my eyes reading your message....reminded me of when my beautiful Mum went to heaven. Your Dad will be in your heart forever... I will be thinking of you and your family, take care, love Ann xx