My charity ride....

3 minute read time.

Being a keen cyclist and spending the last 3 years doing a lot of cycling, I found the Moonriders event on here and without a second thought, signed up.  I trained hard, gradually increasing my distance to beyond the 100km that I had planned to do.  Naturally my chosen charity was Macmillan.

So all week i'd been feeling a bit off, Thursday in particular I didn't feel right.  Woke up Friday morning will full on symptoms of flu.  Crap.  So apart from a last minute dash to the bike shop in Nottingham to have a rear cassette fitted on my bike (the route was released and boy was it hilly, not expecting that at all so i needed the cassette to give me more of a chance of getting up the many hills!!) I was laid on the settee in my dressing gown, eating constantly to get my energy levels up.

Time to set off, dragged myself in the shower, got my stuff together and set off.  Took just over 2 hours to get to the start point.  Registered and got changed.  I'd planned my ouftfit based on the weather forecast, 13 degrees it said, fine that's normally the temperature when I'm driving to work so arm warmers, Macmillan jersey and high vis gillet was the outfit of choice.  Was cold though, eek.

Set off just after 11pm (normally bed time!!) through London.  Very quickly the groups were splitting up because of the traffic lights every 10 yards, the only directions were pink triangles on lamp posts etc. I didn't see any so just followed anyone I could.  Couldn't wait to get out of London, it was busy, manic and a bit tense.  But I should have been grateful for that....

Out of London into the suburbs it went very dark.  We had to have a good front bike light and a helmet light.  My 1 watt bike light was totally crap and I may as well have not bothered.  My helmet light was better, giving a dim circle of light in front of my wheel, but the weight of the helmet gave me a headache.  So I find myself, cycling along on pitch black country roads (I was cold at this point) thinking 'why the hell am I doing this, I feel like shit, I'm freezing and I want to go home'.  After a while I realised that I hadn't seen any lights from other riders for a while, great I'm flipping lost!  I stopped and rang the emergency number they gave us, but they said turn round and retrace your steps.  Wonderful.  So again, pitch black country roads, all alone and I am thinking if I ride over a pot hole, fall off, get run over, who the frigging hell will know???

Made it back on route and decided I would find someone with a good light and stay with them.  Easier said then done, I'm quite a fast cyclist and couldn't find one at my speed, so remained alone.  Food stop approaching, great, dying for a wee and in need of a rest.  Felt poorly at this point, racked my bike, went to the tent, glass of pop and burger and sat down.  Couldn't eat a thing.  A Macmillan support worker was there, she was great, got me some cake, got my water bottle off my bike and filled it up, offered me sugary tea and a big hug, fantastic.  So off I went again.  The final 2 hours were hard, the terrain was very hilly, steep hills, one which I walked up (I didn't see anyone cycle it!) then just as I reached the top, the sky was becoming lighter and I could see the Brighton lights!  I was elevated.  Still alone and picked up the pace because my rubbish light wasn't so bad now, and I knew I was nearly there, dad will be so pleased....

Didn't last because I got lost again, my chain came off, but I stayed determined and found the end point, my husband was waiting which was lovely (although I got lost so I came in the wrong way to everyone else but hey ho) and I made it, I did it despite feeling rotten!  Took some pictures to send to dad, Ross (husband) had my breakfast because I still felt too ill to eat and we set off back home, 4 and a half hours drive and then I was laid in my bed.  I did it!!

I've raised nearly £1,000 for Macmillan and I'm pleased.   :)

Do you know how many toilets there are when you leave Brighton to reaching the M1???  None.  That's it, not one services!  I was very close to having to relieve myself in my water bottle,..... lol

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

WEll done -such determination-an inspiration fanatastic

Best wishes

Peter

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks everyone :) still suffering today, on the flu front rather than aches and pains luckily.

Ann - I've heard about the she-wee, do they really work??  I'm glad I didn't succumb to the water bottle though because when i finally got to a loo, I would have filled half a dozen of them!!

Again, thank you for your kind words, i feel great to know that I finished it and all for a good cause.  And dad is so proud of me :) xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

well done molly and your dad will be so proud of his wonderful daughter xxxxxxxxx love irene xxxx