Dad's second chemo hasn't been a good one..

1 minute read time.

Dad seemed to sail through his first chemo, hardly any side effects despite us preparing for him to be sick, the bucket by his bed remained unused, he continued his daily walks to the pub, everything was and felt normal - almost easy to forget that dad has got cancer.

The Onc said he should expect to feel the same second cycle - great we thought.  But wasn't to be.  Not sure if it was the side effects from the chemo, a touch of food poisoning, or his bowel cancer playing up but it's been a long, hard week and finally, today, he's up and about and had a little walk (Morrisons though, not the pub!).

So in the space of a couple of weeks, dad is unable to walk far, he has lost more weight, his hair is falling out and he looks so incredibly tired, gaunt, ill and very sad.  He was sat in bed on Sunday playing with his new ipad in a vest and I could have cried. 

His week has been filled with stomach cramps, diahorrea, nausea and feeling very tired.  He went to the chemo ward late last week, all blood tests and other tests were normal, blood count normal etc. so maybe it was just a poorly tummy which wasn't connected to the chemo.  Dad has a separate bowel cancer (currently being treated for lung cancer because that is the biggest threat to his life) which is stable so it is being left.  But the cramps and problems he's been having mirror those that led to his diagnosis (which settled down on their own) so our concern was that the bowel tumor was growing.  If the bowel needs attention, then lung treatment would be delayed and we can't afford that until his lung is stable.  Bloody hell it's complicated!!

But the sun is shining today and dad has been for a walk, so today is a good day.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Big big hug to you Molly, it is so hard all this wondering and complications etc.

Bowels are sensitive creatures and the slightest thing will set them off into a tantrum or sulk, so try not to worry too much as a 101 things can get them going plus chemo bothers them too big time whatever the bloods say and his tumour will irritate it sometimes whatever it is doing. Mine used to be really bad some weeks and fine others...  (like I said, sensitive so and so's)

Lying in bed with an ipad in a vest sounds bliss to me :o) but sorry it made you cry. Here's to you going for a walk with him back to the pub again soon eh? and chemo does knock you for 6 but I guess you need a powerful poison...

Lots and lots of love and big hug to the best daughter in the world who can still see the good days...

Little My xxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Aw thank you Little My, my angel!  You brought tears to my eyes, you are wonderful!

I think it's because he didn't have any problems the first time, but we've got to stop that way of thinking haven't we.

I'm hoping he'll be up for a pint later but we will see!  They're going home on Saturday, I'm glad but I'm going to miss them really badly :(

Hope you're well and not too tired from school, or anxious over your results, you're going to be just fine :) xxxxxxxxx

• Hi Molly,

I know it is really hard to work out what is disease progression or chemo related. Just to reassure you my mum had chemo with her bowel cancer remaining in place. She did have a lot abdominal pain but despite thinking the worst it was purely chemo related. Just like your dad the first cycle was a walk in the park but the second put her in hospital. Interestingly enough the rest were all different but not as bad as no. two.

Also when chemo stopped the weakness resolved and my mum was able to return to how she was before.

It gives you such a fright to see physical changes. If you are really worried phone and leave a message for the original surgeon . Thats what we did and he having seen the scans only the month before reassured us and explain how the chemo affects the colon. This helped a lot. You have a lot to manage with both cancers, seek the reassurance you need.

In stage four bowel cancer where they too are sent straight to chemo without surgery , if the colon blocks they seem to use a stent . I think the idea is allow them to get back to chemo quickly.

Lots of love,

Court

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Court, that is really encouraging.  I guess every part of the body is affected by the chemo, digestive system being one isn't it so that will have a knock on effect on the bowel.  I did ring the colorectal nurse but she referred me back to the chemo team, but ideally we want an assessment on his bowel tumor.  We're back to see the oncologist on Tuesday so a question to ask there.

They mentioned the stent at the beginning should the bowel close, which should be just a key hole procedure, but any procedure we would ideally like to avoid.  Ho hum let's see what happens.

Take care xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Molly.

My husband Tony has just finished 5 cycles of chemo for lung caner, The 1st hardly any effects at all apart from tiredness, the 2nd he was really unwell for about a week, he rest were all delayed because of his bloods an again the only real side effect tiredness, oh and a nasty rash, still don't know what that was!

Here's to your Dads next pint, Cheers.

love Jackie xxx