Freshers Week....

1 minute read time.

I remember the joys of last years fresher's week very well, everything was so exciting, meeting all these new people, going out and having a good time and generally having too much to drink as a result. This time round I don't think I have ever felt so miserable. 

Leaving my mum with terminal cancer last Saturday was excruciatingly difficult. She was diagnosed in February whilst I was at university she decided to tell me on 16th August (a day I don't think ill ever forget). I hate being away from her it depresses me so much cause I could see her condition getting worse before I left. I haven't told any of my flatmates what's been going on and whilst they're going out having a good time I just stay in the house by myself.

I make sure I phone mum every day now just to cheer her up I know she struggles a lot too. But if Im being perfectly honest, I don't know if I can stay away from her for much longer. I don't want to tell my flatmates I don't really want the attention but I'm feeling so isolated as a result. Its only a matter of time before people ask questions about why I've become so unsociable and I really don't know how to respond when they ask.

Right now I just want to get on the next train back home.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there......when i was diagnosed my son was at uni over 200 miles away. I had to tell him over the phone. Uni were brilliant with him.

Dont give up uni ....do it and get back to see your mum when you can. The last thing your mum would want you to do is to give up uni.

I completely disagree with what mollyb has said. Your mum will want you to continue .....do it for her as well as yourself xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I never meant for a second she gives up Uni!  I'm sure her tutors will support her and let her study distance learning for a while.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tequileo,

Have just read your blog, whatever happens your Mum will want you to do what's is best for you. She will want to know that you are going to be ok although at the same time she will know you are worried about her.

Carry on with your studies and do the best you can, don't keep it all too yourself, your friends will be there for you, as you would be for them.  Your Mum would not want you to go through this on your own and I'm sure she will want to help make things as easy for you as she can in the circumstances.

Visit your Mum and call when you can, she will so appreciate it.

As a mum in the same circumstances all I want to do is be there for my children and remove the burden as much as possible from them, I'm pretty sure your Mum will be the same.

Lots of love

Karen xxx