Wiping out sixty nine years

1 minute read time.

Just over a year ago, I was able to blog that Gary had responded well to the treament he had recieved in at a German clinic, and was in remission.

We had some very precious months together, leading normal lives, until in September, the tumour started to grow again, and spread to his second lung.

Although he fought on bravely, he became more emaciated and debilitated by the week. 

On 17 December 2010, he lost his battle, falling asleep in his favourite chair and never waking up.

Because he died from mesothelioma which is classed as an industrial disease, the coroner had to be notified, and much to my distress, he ordered a post mortem.  Gary's poor body had been through so much, I could not beat think it being subjected to any thing else.  Thanks to his wonderful GP, the coroner was persuaded that, becausw diagnosis had been made after extensive biopies, little more would be achieved at an autopsy.

The coroner's office staff have been less than helpful in the family's contact with then.  the interim death certificate contained no less than three errors, including the spelling of his name. 

A letter was sent to tell me the inquest would be delayed until the post mortem results were recieved!  We had the distress of pointing out none had been performed.  Then, two weeks ago, I recieved notice that the inquest would be held on 10 March.  This was insufficient notice for either of my daughters to re-arrange sbussiness commitments to attend with me.  Fortunately, Gary's brother will be able to come with me.

I am aware that an inquest is currently required by law when an industrial disease is the cause of death, but surely a little more sensitivity to could be extended to a grieving family.  Perhaps, on reflection, i should not be surrised,  this is the same coroner's office which failed to spot the well above death rates at Stafford hospital, now the subject of yet another enquiry.

In what I am informed,  will be a twenty minute hearing, on Thursday morning, the sixty nine years of Gary's existence will be rubber stamped out of existence.

Anonymous