Fishing, vacuums, hospitals and annniversary plans.

3 minute read time.

Hiya,

I don't think I am the only person who 8 weeks post op thinks they are much better than what they really are. Listen to your body the nurses said, trouble is mine only talks to me when it hurt and I've overdone it. Monday this week after my first fishing competition since the op and I was feeling fine except aching back and shoulders, which I had fully expected and took this as a good sign the muscles had been woken up. That meant I was going to be able to fish another match on Wednesday again with help from friends carrying all the heavy stuff.

Tuesday I walked to the school that employs my wife and enjoyed the sun and BBQ before cheering on the olympic torch. It was actually very good fun, though the apache helicopter gun ship circling directly overhead was my highlight!

Wednesday arrived and the fishing started well, but there were too many fish infront of me and by the end of 6 hours I had caught 97lbs of carp. Still I felt OK and went home happy until I found out that my mother in law had fallen over and badly damaged her hand. She was taken to hospital in an ambulance and had an operation. Just another thing to go wrong and upset the family. MIL (who is very nice) was going to look after my girls the weekend when I was taking Wendy away for our anniversary, as a result we had to cancel the weekend away. Still there will be other weekends.

Thursday, wanted to help Wendy, and so in the morning I did the vacuuming (Jan would be proud) and cleaned the bathroom without any real problems, other than a couple of twinges and a few rests in between. Afternoon and appointment with my consultant where I hoped to find out what went wrong, Wendy could not come with me due to having to do stuff that MIL would have done and that someone else should have done but wouldn't! Saw my man only 20 mins late, and the first thing he asked me was " How are you doing....psychologically?" Who me I thought, Mr positive? Well I understood his question because I had been rather angry and upset in hospital after the operation went wrong. To be fair he was really good, the first time we have talked openly about stuff, he explained that I had an adhesion from the first op (rare) that then squashed the bowel and caused all the problems. He said "You have to realise that chemo, radiotherapy, and 3 operations will have taken a massive toll on your body. Of course he could see I was still not healed and still no where physically back to normal and he said you'll have to come back in 3 months and we did not discuss any next steps as it is far to soon. Baggy is sticking around for a wee while longer then.

Friday, woke up feeling like I had been punched in the stomach by Mike Tyson, in fact just like back in hospital when it is a hard job to sit up and get out of bed. So I guess my tummy muscles are complaining about the housework, nothing more serious I hope. It is so damn difficult to get this rehabilitation right, and doing nothing is no good either. Still a rest today and no fishing the weekend will hopefully do the trick. MIL back home today with arm in a sling and I told her to give up the stunt lady work.

That's about it really, I've typed this sitting in the garden and saw 2 peregrine falcons fly high overhead, and a number of butterflies in the garden. Nature can be so therapeutic, at least to me it is.

Tight Lines

Tim

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Tim ....... been there, done that and got the tee shirt on the post-operative taking it easy - yep, I tried to be ' normal ' after getting home from hospital and decided to do some hoovering ....... the District Nurse turned up and gave me a right telling off ! So you are right about our minds being a bit doo-lally after surgery. However, in your case I reckon it was the carp wot did it ...... all 97lbs worth of them. So maybe you should stick to the little tiddlers for a while longer !

So sorry about your MIL's accident and the consequences, but you and Wendy will get another chance of a break to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

Indeed, these Consultants can be either useless or very helpful  and your chap was right about the toll on your body ....... seems it takes ages to recoup from these ops. So take it easy or it will be the norty step !

Totally agree with nature being therapeutic ...... during the last few days I have noticed the house martins are back to their nest on a neighbour's gable, to and fro all the time. The buzzards have been busy over the nearby fields probably looking for rabbits and our local heron has been patrolling the fish ponds in the hopes of a tasty snack. Oh, and the gray squirrel is after the bird's food as usual - not seen any butterflies at all yet ( had the ducks flying over from the mere though ! )

Anyway, take it nice and easy Tim.

Love and hugs, Joycee xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tim! 

You and i are part of the same 'run before we can walk' club i think. Days i feel good i wanna do things that everyone tells me will be too much too soon and i pay the price for the next few days with exhaustion and painful twinges but it was worth it at the time!

Id love to be able to sit by the river with a rod and pass the summers day fishing, sounds like bliss! This whole heat and chemo combo aint helping me find the energy for day time summery persuits, so you will have to enjoy the fishing for us both i reckon.

And your garden sounds rather tranquil, it must be greatly theraputic i think.

Tight lines! (i loved reading that, reminds me of all my times out fishing with my dad, and its been far too long since ive gotten to say it to someone!)

Lynnie x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hmmm, running before you can walk? Who on earth could also be doing that i wonder... hahaaaaa

I went for a swim today and to the gym. I have been swimming twice since the nurse told me not to, and been to work too many hours and been to the gym and and and... I struggle and ache too! The worst one was the first time I went in the garden and I could not walk or even sit down the next day !

I won't tell you off or tell you to take it easy cos its me and I understand totally of course.

I am so sorry you and Wendy missed your anniversay away. That is really rubbish and I hope you get to do it soon.

All I will say, is lifting too much too soon is what gave me my prolapsed stoma and sausages popping out when fishing isn't a good thing, especially with all those maggots around, so please be a bit careful with the lifting.... or you will have to wear my invincibles hahahahaaaaa!!

It is lovely to have you on here posting, just as it should be my fellow.. oh bugger. I can't write baggy or dyson can I? hmmm my post op partner in crime... :)

That's the kind of thing my doc says to me too haha when I am wondering why I am not leaping about like a leapy thing... I guess they are right even though we ignore them...  I think Wendy will be quite happy to just have you at home for 3 months with no ops looming or anything... and if it makes you feel any better, I shit myself twice today! (probably doesn't actually, and you probably didn't want to know that either haha)

The norty step is a pretty nice place and there are beers in the fridge and its got a good view of the garden so come on over and sit down with me for a giggle eh?

Better go and polish your lucky rod in the shed, so you can get your weekend away...

Light tines, and an extra hug for Wendy for missing her treat.

Little My xxx

ps I am off to see the nurse on Monday for possibly the last time??? (mind you, she's been saying that for the last 3 weeks) how are your holes doing? Filling up nicely I hope...  

• Hi Tim well you know me I always followed Doctors orders well once in a while.As Lynnie said we are all part of the run rather than walk brigade.So sorry you and Wendy had to postpone your anniversary break it was so deserved.I hope MIL is soon better so you can re book bet Wendy was looking forward to twanging your braces.I know you where supposed to have been fishing for tiddlers and pilchards for LM but no one said how many you are supposed to catch so what was you supposed to do when they were virtually jumping out of the water for the joy of seeing you back on the river bank.Gold stars for cleaning but Wendy will probably retire you for a while if it's causing you aches and pains or is it a secret ploy? I hope having some kind of explanation about why things went so badly wrong was helpful and what you went through certainly takes its toll not only on body but mind too.I have blackbirds nesting in my garden they are busy flying back and forth all day taking food to their young fascinating to watch I try to keep away from where they are nesting as don't want to disturb them.Hope you have a good weekend much love and hugs Cruton xxxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi my lovelies!

Just popped in quickly before my daily dressing activity! Tummy muscles are still sore, but a lot better than yesterday and so it seems I have avoided serious damage, though nursey will guess since dressing is covered in blood!

Rooby, I'm thankful for your friendship too, or should I say Mrs Doyle!

Odin, luckily for me my eyes are still in good working order and so I could read your post, I need good eye sight to see the float when fishing!

Annie I will look at those webcams, I will start to look at the springwatch website now as they usually have some good shots. I didn't get sunburnt, so that is one thing I didn't over do, sitting in the sun!

Hils you are amazing, with just 12 words you made me laugh and also feel for you. It really is great to hear from you, and hope you are doing well.

Respect, I would rather be fishing than hoovering, so hoovering gets the blame!!!!

Joycee, thanks for your comments, it is nice to know when we're not alone in difficult times. Great that you have so much wildlife to watch, I live in the middle of a housing estate so am amazed at what I get to see.

Not sure now if this is going to work now, run out of time earlier (started this at 9:20) and came back home and finished off cleaning the windows, ouch.

Lynnie, you have summed up exactly what happens to me, oh well I'm not the only one, tight lines!!

LM, post op partner in crime sounds great! Sorry to hear you are still shitting yourself, I don't mind hearing that all, but then I'd rather not hear that, I'd rather your bum was behaving!

Cruton, I have never been very good at doing nothing, I guess that is why I fish competitions rather than sit waiting for just one big un! Doing stuff, running before walking, comes naturally! Yes the explanation helps, my head is OK just the body needs to catch up.

Oh I should just add I saw a huge beetle in the garden, turns out it is called a cockchafer beetle. A wonderful name!

Tight lines

Tim xxx