A night to remember.

1 minute read time.

Four years ago I attended a charity ball organised by one of my mates who was recovering from testicular cancer. Little did I know then that I would be joining him in the cancer club, as in Aug 2010 I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I've written on this site on and off since that time, more so after my operation and have made many friends. So when my mate said he was going to organise another ball and would I like to be involved and support a charity I had no hesitation in saying yes, Macmillan.

In return for my charity being supported (as well as his choice of Orchid) I had to make the appeal speech. "You've got to make them laugh and cry to get them digging deep to splash the cash" says my mate. So I spent days fretting over it, putting it off, until I ended up writing it the day before the ball.

On the night itself I had a few drinks before the speech to pluck up courage, but was still a bit nervous, not so much about standing up talking, more about the content getting to me! Well it seemed to go pretty well and I got a nice round of applause, and quite a few people came up to me during the night to say well done, or that they had people in the same situation as me. However, the most important thing was that the objective of raising as much money as we could was acheived, we haven't got the final amount yet, but we know it will be over £2500.

It's great that the money was raised by everyone having a fantastic night, though some will have sore heads and trouble remembering it I dare say.

Thanks to the many people on here that wished me luck and gave me support. Oh and on the morning of the day of the ball I had a letter from the hospital saying I have an appointment for my ileostomy reversal on 22nd March. All in all a very good day.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Brilliant news all round Tim.

Glad your speech went off OK and you raised lots of pennies indeed.

Hope your cold's better but i'm sure the alcohol helped to shoo it away :)

Excellent news that your reversal date is finally planned. Once you and LM are sorted i'm gonna be the only lonely baggy on warped. Gonna have to round up some troups aren't I?

Take care

Jan xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, done Tim! So glad you did it and rather fed up that I had to sit in a room listening to someone banging on about phonics instead of being at the ball!!! ggrrrr. Next time, eh?

We warpees are very proud of you!

And hoorah for operation date. Like your sneaky move of sending me in first, but I'll warm the bed up for you. I will probably be coming out just as you go in ! So, plenty of chat to be had with you, me and ems all either in hospital or lying around in bed at home....

Jan, I have 2 docs saying my reversal won't work and one saying it will, so you never know, you might not be a lone baggy forever.... ! We will be honorary ones to keep you company though.

Hooooorah for Tim!

Little My xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Very proud of you Tim! I would have loved to have been there, but I reckon we can hold our own when we are all better!

Amazing effort and amazing amount too!

Huge cwtchs to you and yay for a date!!!

xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Tim!  Well done you for your courage and commitment and for the amazing amount of money raised.

What a guy!!!!!!

Much love,

Nin xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

What a fantastic weekend for you Tim. I'm glad that it all came together (as all we warpees knew it would) and with the bonus of having the good news of your operation beforehand...what a fantastic omen.

You did not let us know whether

• You managed to get an outfit to fit
    • Your wife was well enough to attend
    • Whether you got the chair nearest the loo and if baggy behaved!

Regardless of this, you managed to write your speech (did it draw laughter, tears etc?) and a sizeable amount of money was raised. Who needs the BAFTAS and GRAMMYS when Tim and co are doing it large in Bristol!

Big pat on back and gold star

Love

Louise xx

PS Are you sure LM didn't sneak away from her foniks course and hide under the table? Or was she in Cruton's bin in a corner of the room?