Rhod Gilbert: A Pain in the Neck – a powerful Head and Neck Cancer documentary on Channel4.com

2 minute read time.
Rhod Gilbert: A Pain in the Neck – a powerful Head and Neck Cancer documentary on Channel4.com

What's it about?

On Monday 30th October 2023, UK broadcaster Channel 4 aired this powerful documentary about one man’s experience with a head and neck cancer diagnosis.

It is always a welcome sight to see cancer experiences like this covered by national broadcasters, as it shines a light on experiences that the general public could so easily overlook. When the man at the centre of the story also happens to be one of Wales’ top stand-up comedians, an intimate and honest portrait of a cancer journey like this can be even more impactful.

Rhod Gilbert received his cancer diagnosis after finding a lump in his neck back in April 2022. He was driving to Barnstable to deliver one of his comedy shows when his doctor called to confirm the outcome of his tests: Rhod had cancer of the neck, throat, tongue, and tonsils. This documentary invites you to follow him through the highs and lows of his journey.

Where to watch

If you haven’t watched this engaging 50 minute documentary already, you can view it for free on Channel 4’s website, Channel4.com. You will just need to sign up for a free Channel4.com account in order to watch programs using their web-based player. You can click on this link to go directly to the documentary’s page:

As you might expect from a documentary about a comedian’s cancer journey, this film contains humour, strong language, and scenes which some viewers may find challenging.

Once you’ve watched the film, we’d love to know what you thought. Did it resonate with you? Did it make you realise something you hadn’t thought of before? Let us know by sharing your thoughts in a comment below this post.

Further reading

Macmillan has information and support resources online relating to head and neck cancer. You can read some of our introductory information at the links below: 

Online Community

We also have a fantastic forum dedicated to those impacted by a head and neck cancer diagnosis. To share your thoughts, feelings, and experiences with others who understand, join our Head and neck cancer forum at the link below: 

Contact Macmillan

If you’d like to speak with a Macmillan professional in a one-to-one setting, our Macmillan Support Line teams are also here for you. Sometimes it can help to talk things through with someone who’s there to listen. They’re available from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, on freephone 0808 808 00 00, by email, or via live webchat.

If you need any help using the Online Community, feel free to check out our Help Pages, or get in touch with the Online Community Team directly by sending an email to community@macmillan.org.uk.

Anonymous
  • Well worth watching even though it was tough in places.It was honest and moving.I had bladder cancer but did relate to the emotions Rhod was experiencing.It was good to learn more about head and neck cancer too.Jane 

• I also thought this was brilliant, i was sad at times, and as he stated, only people that are or have been threw treatment, truly understand. When he was waiting for scan result, that is emotions we all go threw..

• I have read comments on social media from head and neck cancer survivors that the programme didn't explain how abysmally awful the treatment is and how long the recovery can be. Much resonated with me as I am a fellow HNC survivor but it wasn't pitched as a medical programme and it was right to gloss over the nasty bits. I'm pleased that HPV was highlighted and vaccination mentioned.  It's difficult to expand on the HPV issue as HNC is largely an STI and this really has to be expanded in a professional setting. It's complicated. I had to laugh when Rhod said the virus goes for the cervix in women and the throat in men...not strictly true but men not having a cervix might have something to do with it.

Overall I thought it was a good piece and it was encouraging to see him, diminished though he was, back to StandUp at a year.

• I watched this yesterday. I was in tears. Very powerful and insightful. Rhod didn't shy away from just how brutal his journey was. I could relate in some ways to what he went through as my dad is currently having treatment for oesophageal cancer. It clearly broke him and this was hard to watch. I know my dad has gone through similar episodes throughout his journey, but he is starting to come through the other side. It just takes alot of time. Rhod had very positive results by the end which was fantastic, let's hope he continues to be cancer free. Hoping the same for my dad in the months and years to come.

• Absolutely fabulous programme and let us see - me for one- what I could have gone through if I had had that treatment after my Laryngectomy, but mainly even after 3 years it gave me the oportunity to discuss some of my feelings with my Wife that I had not expressed before. Having also had Chemo and RT for my OS Cancer was another oppurtunity to discuss as I worked all the way through the treatment nearly everyone thought I was fine -BUT - little did they know!

Really recommend  people watch it