Stop the World, I Want to Get Off!

1 minute read time.

It is seven months today since my dad passed away from bowel cancer only eight weeks after diagnosis.

Today, I went back to the day surgery unit I first took dad to, with my mum who was having an endoscopy to determine why she is always vomiting, has lost her appetite and has lost a lot of weight. She was told by the doctor the cause of the vomiting is something to do with bile and nothing to worry about and is easily treated, but they found an abnormality on the upper oesophagus which they have taken a biopsy sample from and she has to return for a further endoscopy.

Obviously, I am imagining the worst. I have read a little about abnormalities, but most causes seem to point to it being cancer. I have read about Barrett's oesophagus, which, if I am right, isn't always cancerous, but can be pre-cancerous changes and can be treated.

What  I am wondering is, does anybody know what other possible causes there can be for an oesophageal abnormality. I can't believe we are going through all this so soon after losing dad. I still haven't come to terms with that yet!

I would be grateful if anybody has any information.

Best wishes, Christine xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Christine,

You have had some bad times of it ,

My thoughts ,strength and support go out to you and your Mum. Hope everything comes back clear.

All the best.

Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Christine....Thinking of you....I too lost my wonderful Dad to bowel cancer, New Years Day 2009. It's very hard sweetie isn't it.  Please try not to worry about your Mum, easier said than done I know. After my Dad passed away, my Mum too had to have an endoscopy because of acid reflux, and her oesophagus kept going into spasm...she too lost an awful lot of weight. Her endoscopy came back clear...and I'm keeping everything crossed for you that you have the same result for you Mum.  You've had enough to deal with...more than enough.  You take care, and I'm sending a hug and special thoughts for you and your Mum.

Love, Janey x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks again for all the lovely replies guys.

Was at hospital today with mum. The doctor phoned for the results of the endoscopy. She has inflammation of the oesophagus and stomach which he has prescribed medication for.

The biopsy results weren't back yet, but the doctor we spoke to said in his opinion it is unlikely to be anything sinister as the doc performing scope would most likely have recognised a tumour or anything else likely to be sinister. So, I am a bit more hopeful.

Thanks again everybody.

Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Fingers crossed xxx