Stop the World, I Want to Get Off!

1 minute read time.

It is seven months today since my dad passed away from bowel cancer only eight weeks after diagnosis.

Today, I went back to the day surgery unit I first took dad to, with my mum who was having an endoscopy to determine why she is always vomiting, has lost her appetite and has lost a lot of weight. She was told by the doctor the cause of the vomiting is something to do with bile and nothing to worry about and is easily treated, but they found an abnormality on the upper oesophagus which they have taken a biopsy sample from and she has to return for a further endoscopy.

Obviously, I am imagining the worst. I have read a little about abnormalities, but most causes seem to point to it being cancer. I have read about Barrett's oesophagus, which, if I am right, isn't always cancerous, but can be pre-cancerous changes and can be treated.

What  I am wondering is, does anybody know what other possible causes there can be for an oesophageal abnormality. I can't believe we are going through all this so soon after losing dad. I still haven't come to terms with that yet!

I would be grateful if anybody has any information.

Best wishes, Christine xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

dear christine

i cant offer you any info on possible causes for your mum's condition but i do send you my very best wishes that it turns out to be nothing sinister. i cant imagine having to deal with such worry on top of losing your dear dad - so my love and hugs are with you.

here's hoping for good news for your mum.

love, claire x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you Claire, I am trying not to worry until we know for certain what is going on.

Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Chrstine

I hope its just bile. I think  barretts can lead to cancer. I hope it comes back clear.

Love teresa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Christine, sometime life seems to throw more our way than we can deal with:O

Im not sure about other conditions causing abnormalities, but I know Barrets is treatable, and the earlier its caught the better. Hopefuly whatever your mum has can be dealt with ( I have a brother-in-law living with oc after a terminal diagnosis 6 years ago who was given just weeks so try to think positive if you canxx)

Am thinking of you and your mum, and will keep everything crossed that the news is good.

Love and (((hugs))) Sharonxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teresa and Sharon. Thank you both for your kind words.

Obviously we won't know until the biopsy results what we are dealing with, but hopefully, if it is anything sinister it has been caught early.

Will let you know how things go.

Thanks again, it means so much getting support from others.

Christine xx