Confused!

1 minute read time.

Dad was taken into hospital yesterday in preparation for a colonoscopy today.  When we arrived they didn't have a bed for him until I stuck my oar in and explained that he had cancer and couldn't sit about in a waiting room all day.

He has bowel cancer with spread to the liver and possibly the lungs, newly diagnosed.  We have been told that surgery is not an option as it will not cure him, but they will probably be giving chemotherapy.  The colonoscopy is to determine what type of cancer it is so they can treat it accordingly.

I am confused as dad has told the medical staff repeatedly that he is not in any pain, which they seem to find unbelievable.  He has been in bed sleeping a lot for a few weeks now and does suffer from muscular pain which he has been taking co-codamol for, but the doctor explained yesterday that they would have to prescribe something else as the codeine is helping to constipate dad.  Fair enough, but when I called today to find out how he was, I was told he was doing fine and had had two doses of morphine by mid-day.

I asked dad about that when I visited in the afternoon and he was just as puzzled as me.  It seems a bit drastic prescribing morphine for muscle pain.  I'm wondering if they are being presumptious as to the extent of his pain.  I will be questioning this when I see him tomorrow, but wondered if anybody else had experienced anything like this?

I would be grateful for any comments anyone has.  Best wishes, Christine xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

HI christine,just read your post about morphine. I think that this is standard for any nurse or doctor to assume that if you have cancer you should be on it! when i took my mum back in last year for her last op( emergendy doc/ambulance etc)they kept asking me how much morphine she took,0 amount was answer,but they looked at me as if I was daft! Mum takes c-codamol for any pain that she feels and that's it, so doesnt want morphine as she thinks that means that they will soon be fitting her up for her wooden box!! even tho mum does have some pain at moment,she still only takes coc odamol,

luv margo xx