Appointment Delayed

1 minute read time.

Does anyone know the government guidelines on timescales for being seen at outpatient clinics?

The reason I ask is that I was due to have my annual appointment at the breast clinic in October. My last appointment was in September 2009. I have received a letter delaying my appt until January 2011.  I phoned the consultant's secretary and asked her to fit me in sooner as it will be 16 months since I was last seen and she said that the management services have told the secretaries no appointments are to be rescheduled and that I am lucky as some appointments have been delayed until February and March. Oh how lucky do I feel????  She also stated that some clinics have actually been cancelled completely.

The same thing happened last year. I was due to be seen in August and my follow up appointments were six monthly at the time, but I received a letter putting my check up back until February 2010. I phoned and complained that it would be a year since I had been seen instead of six monthly and the secretary managed to fit me in for September.

I am wondering if there is anyone I can speak to to try to get my appointment brought forward to nearer the time I should have been seen. I don't know who to contact and any advice would be gratefully received.

Christine xx 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm sure its 18 weeks but dont quote me on that. There should be guidelines on the net for your local hospital. If not try to google it.

Tiggs x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks everybody, I don't have any particular concerns at the moment, just that I would like to be seen when I am supposed to. I am truly expecting them to delay the next appointment also as this is what seems to be happening to a lot of people I know.

I am glad that I am down to annual appointments, but before I know it that will be two yearly.

Thanks again for your input guys.

Christine xx