April 2010

1 minute read time.

April was full of ups and downs, a real roller-coaster of emotions.

Had a good easter but deprived of easter eggs due to my fitness and diet programme in a desperate attempt to get fit for my holiday. Then dropped to an all time low when holiday was cancelled due to the Islandic volcano.

Then, back up because the weather was so lovely.  Back down when Mum became very ill and ended up in hospital due to a virus.

April ended on an up because I have managed to rebook my holiday and am now due to fly off on 11th May.

Spent the last 10 days stepping up my fitness regime and I can now do 6 miles a day, although it does take it out of me, and, I'm doing very well on my diet but I'm feeling starving all the time.

Just 4 days to go and I'm getting very excited (again) at the prospect of stuffing myself full of Chinese noodles and rice during our first day in Beijing.

If our flight had not been cancelled we would be on the plane right now coming home.  Now we have the whole holiday still ahead of us and that wonderful feeling of anticipation and adventure for what we might experience.

Plus...............I've had FOUR big shopping trips for holiday 'essentials'........shoes and clothes, and more shoes!

To be cont.......

Anonymous
  • Hi Christine

Have a lovely time. Lots more lovely things to buy there I expect.

Love

Sue xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi christine, glad you are finally getting away on holiday!  Where are you going in China apart from Beijing?  We went on a tour of China a few years ago - it was called the 'Shangri-la' tour because we stayed in Shangri-la hotels wherever we went, which was Shanghai, Huang-zho, Nanking, Beijing, and Xian.    It was an eye-opener, to say the least! but it was bloody knackering.  For me, the Terracotta Army in Xian was the highlight of the trip. Be glad to know what you think,  have a great time, Jeanie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Sue and Jeanie.

We have opted for a more rural China so we are starting in Beijing then flying to Chengdu for a visit to the Panda Reserve (Chengdu is in West China just before the Tibetan Plateau), then were taking a 26 hour train journey to Guilin and then boat to Yangshuo.  This is where they filmed the HSBC Advert with the local fisherman using a Cormorant to catch the fish on the Li River.  Finally, flying from Guilin to Hong Kong for our final 4 days (so taking my umberella....lol)

Trying to stay clear of the big tourist spots like Xian,and the Yangtze River Cruise does not appeal to me as I dont like large cruise ships.

I'm so glad you found your Shangri-la Jeanie.  It must have been a wonderful experience for you.

Even with all the walking preparation I've done, I'm still expecting to be as knackered as you were by the end of it.

I'll be pleased if I return in one piece and with no broken bones......especially since we intend to go off on our own using motorbikes (small ones I hope) to explore the Khast mountains and the paddy fields around the Yangshuo area.

I'll post some pixs when I return.

Christine x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

have a wonderful time. wish you could squeeze me in your case!

xx Carl

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Your holiday sounds amazing Christine.

Hope you have a fantastic time, Jeanie x