Losing friends, support and not fitting in

3 minute read time.

Last year I met up with another woman nearby who also has secondary breast cancer. This was really nice for me as she was nearer to my age, we both have children and found lots of common ground. We met a few times for coffee and a chat and at last I felt I had someone to confide in who really understood me.  Well in January she got some bad news on a scan and told me she was going on chemo again but wouldnt tell me about her scan. I sent her some flowers to cheer her up and let her know I am here for her. Everytime I try to arrange to meet she wont and I feel she has really backed away from me. One of my clients at work also has SBC and they have been in contact and have arranged to go for lunch?? A similar thing happened early last year when a woman I met on a younger womens forum stopped contacting me when her diagnosis worsened and whenever I instigated contact I got no reply but I know she was in contact with others.  It feels like slowly and surely the little bit of support I have managed to scrape together has faded away and I have no one to talk to.  I dont really have any friends, no one ever calls or visits. After Christmas I made a conscious effort to try and make more time for my friends and got in touch with loads of people about going out for dinner or drinks but its all ignored.  Or they say they will and when I chase it up nothing happens so I have just given up trying. I feel really lonely. I have no BC friends to talk to about the illness and no 'normal' friends to talk about everyday stuff!!

A couple of months ago I got an email about a secondary breast cancer workshop for younger women which I thought would be perfect for me to gain support and meet other women in my position. So I contacted Breast Cancer Care to secure my place. She asked me questions about my DX and family etc but then told me she wanted to get a nurse to contact me as there would be women further along than me and wanted to make sure I could deal with that?? I felt a bit deflated by this but waited for the nurse to call.  A couple of days later the nurse called me and asked me loads of questions about how I came to be diagnosed from my primary to now.  It seemed like she was questioning my secondary diagnosis as if I had misunderstood what I had been told in 2009 because none of my organs were affected. She asked me ''what do you believe you were told in 2009?'' and this really threw me and I felt like crying. I told her about the scans I had and the surgery to remove the tumor in my neck and that I have extensive lymph node involvement all over my body and that my oncologist said it wasnt curable. I knew I didnt get that bit wrong?? Who would? Anyway it felt to me that because I wasnt physically feeling ill I had no place on the course and that she was implying it wasnt true secondaries. Eventually she said she had come across a few women in my position and that I could go if I wanted to. Its next week but they havent sent me the information so I dont think I will be going afterall.  It just made me feel like I dont fit in anywhere...I know I am not 'ill' or having chemo etc but my outcome is the same as anyone else and I need the same support. I am grateful things are going so well I really am and on the whole I can deal with all this stuff but the way things are going I wont have anyone to turn to when things get bad and why should things have to be bad before there is any support??

Anonymous
  • "Theres now't as queir as folk"

just remember that saying, as you have done nothing wrong other than offer help and support.

We are all different and not everyone copes well with what we have to face, you have some real friends on here who know and understand, if you want some one to chat too I am sure one of them would buddy up if you asked.

As sometimes its good to share those thoughts with someone who understands and has been there.

best wishes and crack on with that list of 30 things to do at thirty.

take care

john

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Chrissi, sorry to learn you feel frozen out by people you need.  I am here, although I don't have sbc.  I will always listen to you and hopefully, help you get things off your chest.  I was thinking though, if you can't be a part of these groups, why not set up your own website for anyone near to you who would like mutual support and possibly friendship.  You are a strong, loving mother, woman, so don't let others' quirks affect you.  You are not alone so stand up girl, make your own group and surround yourself with people who actually want to be with you - you can do it.  Best wishes with your bucket list and keep on shining girl.  Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks everyone I knew you would all help me to make sense of how I'm feeling. Its what I love about this site and you are all truly wonderful for taking the time to comment, cant thank you enough. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi CHrissie,

I have leukaemia, not BC, but the result is the same. One friend in particular who I have been 'good' friends with for the last three years and stood by her through all sorts of marital, work, and social problems, - the day I got my diagnosis I met her in the school playground and told her - it was so much forward in my mind and she was a good mate. She physically shied away from me, and pulled her kid away as if she would catch something. That was October 2009. I have spoken to her twice at the back end of 2010, mainly to talk through her problems with her husband, but otherwise cannot get her to meet up, or chat or anything. I hear on the grapevine she may be moving to Australia - but she won't talk to me at all. It is very, very hurtful, however much I technically understand her fear and all that.

I am lucky in that I am a nurse and my colleagues are all working in the health industry and therefore not as scared as most folk; at least most of them arent! Some won't refer to my situation at all. I am also having trouble with other people - it seems that just because I have this Enid Blyton farmyard complexion which looks pink and healthy however I feel, they think I am fine and obviously have no need to talk, or cry, or anything. It is so odd. As long as I can manage to work I will, because I love my work, but the assumption seems to be that if I can do that then there can't be very much wrong with me!!!!   Absurd, and hurtful.   Part of it is no doubt my own fault - I have spent so many years putting on this front covering depression and stuff that it is very hard for anyone to see past that. But I want them toat least try!! Its all such a mix up, isnt it? I want to do some normal things like work, and go to films, but I also want to be able to cry if I need to - it seems to be hard to have both.

People are indeed, most odd!! No doubt I am also really rather odd, in my own way - in fact I know I am!   I have pinged a friendship thingee off, and can give you my email address if you want.

All love and cyber hugs,

Ali   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hey Crissi

how are you, thank you for accepting my friend offer. Like you I am looking for people who are in the same position as us. I never knew there were so many types and stages of BC.

I am trying to develop a network of women around me who can support and give info on everything and if we stay strong over the years, we can beat the statistic.

My doctor said it was very expensive to keep track of women after 5 years of their diagnosis????? My question why arent we doing something about this.

Keep in touch here or fb, keep each other updated, support each, meet when we can. i have found having normal friends is tiring as they still dont get it.

keep in touch and if you are in london we must meet :) xxx