Censorship in the chat room

1 minute read time.

I have just been in the new chat room and found that certain words and expressions are being censored. I am not a fan of swearing or bad language but I do believe that in a chat room it is a person’s right to be able to express themselves freely. People in chat are as able to be trusted to make judgements about what they say and the tone in which they say it as they are in general conversation outside the room. Yes sometime s people upset or offend each other and yes sometimes misjudgements happen but that happens in normal conversation and what else is a chat room if not normal conversation, which is uncensored? It’s not just a word or expression that is or is not offensive but the tone and appropriateness of its usage and in chat, where people often need to share very angry or negative emotions, sometimes it is most definitely appropriate.

We are all adults in chat and while I would never promote offensive or abusive usage of this room I think the majority of the use of the language that is being censored is not the same issue. Everyone can dodge the censor by respelling a word so it goes through anyway but the point is that censoring is discouraging people from having a ‘rant’ or a ‘scream’ that is sometimes the reason some people want to use the room.

I am not saying ‘come on all of you and start to have a good swear!’ and as said I don’t’ particularly like to read it but please comment your agreement if you think that censoring detracts from the nature of a chat room and that it should be restored, with any real issues of derogatory or abusive behaviour to be dealt with separately and I will ask admin to read this blog and its comments and reconsider. It’s also worth commenting that innocent words like popular are being censored for no reason and the feature is upsetting a lot of people using chat.

Thank you for reading!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Laura/James,

I am not feeling my best today but i have been reading some of today's posts, and discussions, and i have to support Colin's words on this blog.

I completely undertstand the Admin approach you make in regards to providing security for us all from the likes of trolls and abusive dialogue, but do you not think it is disrespectful to the majority, if not all of us on here, to filter conversations of mature adults? We are a large community of strangers and friends who share one main thing in common - cancer. That is why we are here and this one word itself is a very mature word dealt with in a number of ways by mature individuals. In the main we are not immature children, we are adults who have come together to seek advice, offer comfort and support, and generally communicate as one huge family to fight a disease with words and love.

At my strongest i would defend any member of this community against any person intruding into our site and abusing it's name, the staff, the community as a whole. We all would rally together in a rational manner to assist and remedy anything which gets out of control and is offensive or upsetting to any individual in our midst. So i ask you to please look again at the filtering process and then ask yourselves if you are in fact serving our best interests or simply treating us as young adolescents? Remember why we are all here - if this hasn't made adults out of us all then nothing will.

Thankyou for your time, and your overall efforts in tending the huge issues which have infected our site since the changes.

Regards and respect.

Tony

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

(An additional extra)

I should just make it very clear also that i do not in any way condone bad and offensive language or comments. I completely  deplore even the notion of offensive language and postings, especially on a site such as ours. But i do have to reiterate that as a community we are best capable of monitoring and resolving those hopefully rare occurrences which has resulted in the assumed solution of a filter. Should such an individual be that determined to invade our community then we should be under no false illusions that such a person would be able to do so even with a filter in place - that sadly is a fact relating to our society today.

My warmth and respect to all who read this, and even those who do not.

Tony

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ah the old profanity censor.... we had it in the olden days of What Now, but it was utter cr*p then and it sounds like it is now!  Back then we even had words like "kiss" censored, it became a farce trying to work out what people were actually saying!  And of course, there were ways around it!

I've never seen much inappropriate use of swearing in chat, other than the odd rogue troll, but if ever there was a reason for cussing, I think a cancer dx would be cause enough!

M x

• Can now add Cumbria or *CENSORED*ria to the list, point of interest there is no censor filter on the blogs or the groups, just a thought.......

Kev..