3rd Operation = Ovaries/Hysterectomy

1 minute read time.

Well here I am now getting ready to go into hospital again!!! Genetics have meant that I need to have my ovaries removed and now after the Breast Cancer diagnosed in April 2010 and after the Chemo, surgeries, Radiotherapy, more surgeries on the other side, it is time for this next step. Going in next week and very unsure as to what they are going to do as they will not know until they go in, but prepared for the full hysterectomy as discussed with them on the pre-assessment. I hope they decide to go for the full hysterectomy for it will at least keep me free of further worry as I have no lining left in my womb and my own doctor advised a hysterectomy a few years ago. But I was too scared, now it needs to be done and again I have no control over the options.  I have learned though that I will not be under for 14 hours or even 10 hours this time, but only about 30 minutes to an hour, so that makes it a little easier. Hoping I don't have major bleeding or low blood pressure problems like the last time and  that I can start to get some freedom back into my life.

The only worry I do have, is that I won't be allowed to take any hormonal tablets re eostrogen levels as the Breast Cancer was eostrogen based. So I hope that I don't become very moody or grow a beard, just worrying as another phase to go through on this journey. I know I have come far and I am happy that I stayed infection free for about a month now........... the first time in 18 months and it feels good, but I still need to get more energy back and build up my weight yet again. So more custard awaits, this time with Ginger Bread or Apple Tart.

Here's hoping all will go smoothly and there will be no complications. xxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

A bilateral salpingo- oophorectomy, meant removal of both Ovaries and both Fallopian Tubes. No Hysterectomy needed and womb etc seems fine consultant said. So now plenty rest for me folks and may many sincere thanks for all your support over the last two years, jeesee that seems like it was just yesterday, but yes it has been one long haul etc etc etc. I also had a wee greet with my Breast Care Nurses who came down to see me. (Re Survivor Guilt), but  got told I should be patting myself myself on the back considering how I have changed my family history for the first time in 5 generations and that I have made remarkable achievements throughout the last 2 years. 

Got home on Tuesday afternoon, very sore, 3 holes in tummy with dissolving stitches and should heal between 4-6 weeks, just in time for some sun hopefully. Yes it is fecking sore to move and got stuck going up the stairs, just went into spasms.............. so now going to look at the Wiltshire Catalogue for meals to be delivered and make life a bit easier on myself. While on the settee resting, phone went and I have been offered a job within the Breast Care Team re Cancer, so I will go in March 5th and see what they are offering me. They have head hunted me since last year, so guess I got a lot of experience, knowledge etc to offer. I won't be getting any hormone replacement therapy re been post menopausal since I was 41 years old. Still to continue with the Femara Tablet for another 3/4 years.