The Post Surgery Oncology Appointment - 9th March 2022

3 minute read time.
I enjoy writing my blog. It helps me process everything in my head as I go over it again. When I was first diagnosed I got so much information and comfort from reading peoples accounts and blogs on sites such as this one. This is why I decided to share mine, both on here and on my personal Facebook page, to explain what it’s like for me going through this and to give information to anyone else who may be going through similar. It is never for attention. Just my own benefit and raising awareness.
I’ve sat and wrote so much about my meeting with my oncologist. It was like an emotional vomit. Everything came out! (One of the reasons keeping a blog is helping me). I’m not sure it feels right sharing it all. So for now I’ll share the edited version.
After the great news from my surgeon 2 weeks previously, I went to my oncology appointment really positive. But although it wasn’t all bad news from him, I didn’t skip out of the hospital that’s for sure. My oncologist (Steve) agreed that surgery had been successful, but my lymph nodes may have left some nasties behind. The cancer in the 2 larger nodes had breached the walls of the nodes therefore cancer cells could have been emitted from them. I asked what the chances of cancer recurring in my body were. He said chances were high. Blunt but honest. But if I get to 5 years without recurrence then the chances drop dramatically. Steve said they’ve treated what they can see, now it time to treat what they can’t see.
Radiotherapy is next on the cards. I don’t really know anything about that as I’ll be looked after by another doctor for that so all my questions are shelved for when I see him. Steve discussed hormone treatment. I’m to take this medication for the next 10 years. Amongst other things, it works by decreasing the amount of oestrogen my body produces which in turn can slow or stop the growth of oestrogen positive cancer cells. As with all medication, there are so many side effects. I’ll be back in the chemo unit having 6 monthly infusions of another drug that combats some of these side effects. It’s amazing how tailor made the treatment is. They cover everything to help not only keep cancer at bay, but limit other health issues that could arise from the medication.
2 days after this meeting, I had my biggest emotional cancer breakdown to date. I spent a whole day just bursting into tears and feeling so sad. I think the severity of everything hit me. Rob was the same. That meeting was so sobering. Steve reminded us that my cancer was very invasive. It was stage 3. I was given aggressive chemotherapy because of this. Rob hit the nail on the head when he said we’ve tried so hard to stay positive that we’ve not really let it all sink in.
Anyway, I’m going to leave it here. This is the short version, so you can imagine what the ‘emotional vomit’ version was like. But it was good for the soul to get it all out.
Anonymous