Breast Clinic Day! 15th July 2021

2 minute read time.

Today me and my hubby dropped the kids off at school and went to the hospital. First stop - mammogram. Trying to have a polite conversation with a woman who is manhandling your boobs onto an x-ray machine is the most bizarre experience. I thought that if the plates went a touch tighter, they'd explode. Like putting a watermelon in a vice! From there I went to see a doctor who had a good old feel. I found myself staring intently at his face, trying to read his facial expressions as he focussed on the top of my left breast. He then called for a radiologist (at least, I think that was her title) who came and gave me an ultrasound. The only time I've seen an ultrasound screen is when I went for scans whilst pregnant. However, this screen just showed up black voids, not tiny fingers and toes. That's when they said there's also a lump in my breast and they were going to take some biopsies. So they numbed me up and went to work with what looked like a big meat thermometer. Its a good job I was lying down as I felt a bit wobbly at this point. 4 tissue samples were taken from my breast and 3 from my armpit. Once I'd had dressings applied, I was taken into another room and told a Macmillan breast care nurse would come and talk to me. This is where I genuinely started to get scared. I mean proper scared. I'd not have had all these doctors and nurses around me taking biopsies and being super nice to me if this was just a fatty lump of nothingness. Plus, they even went and fetched the hubby from the waiting room to come in to see me and the nurse. I'm not ashamed to say that I cried like a baby. I was told that the result take about a week and that they'd be looked at the following Thursday when all the doctors get together for their weekly meeting. Tess, the breast care nurse was lovely. Told me to rest and take it easy whilst my biopsy sites healed. The hubby fetched the kids from school and had to warn them to be gently with me as I had some poorlies - they didn't question that which was good and they gave me the most gentle cuddles. Much softer than their usual choke hold hugs. 

Now it was time to wait.....

Anonymous