A trip the the GP - 1st July 2021

1 minute read time.

As with many GP surgeries, you have to call on the day you want to be seen and get triaged over the phone before being given an appointment. I was off work Thursday so decided to call them. Unfortunately, they couldn't see me until 4pm. Bugger!! That meant taking my 2 sons with me after I'd picked them up from school. We're an open family, don't shut the bathroom door when having a pee and all that, but I didn't really want them witnessing a doctor giving my knockers a prod. All I can say is thank god for mobile phone games and privacy curtains. 

The GP I saw was lovely. However, she seemed concerned which made me concerned. After having a feel for what felt like forever, she said she was going to do an urgent referral to the breast clinic at the hospital. With that, I put my bra back on and took my boys home. I told the hubby all about it when he got in from work, but I felt like I played it down and didn't really voice my worries. Maybe I was protecting him? Maybe I was too scared to admit I was scared? Who knows. The waiting had begun.

I was at work the following day and tried to act normally. I thought I was doing a good job until a colleague asked me if I was ok. I knew if I opened my mouth to say I was ok, I'd start crying. So I scurried away. She tracked me down and got it out of me. Now, I class this colleague as a friend and she is one of the nicest and honest people I've met. She has also battled and beaten breast cancer. She told me to try and not get too worried in case it isn't cancer. But if it was, to look at her. She's been through it and come out the other side. It felt good to offload this big worry a little bit. 

During those next few days my emotions went from being very teary to absolutely fine to feeling physically sick. And repeat. I managed 6 days before calling the Breast Clinic to chase up my appointment. The lady I spoke to said to come in the following Thursday. I had another week to wait but at least I had a date to focus on.  

Anonymous