The Widow Vibe - And the Question of Time

2 minute read time.

It was eighteen weeks today. 

And it is nearly a year since I started the blog on this site. I don’t know how many of my original readers are still here … ‘Stuff’, as they say, ‘happens’.  And there is some ‘stuff’ that none of us want to think about happening because it is just too hard …

I want to know where some of you have gone, how you are, but dare not ask. 

So, it was eighteen weeks today. 

The world has been hurrying on, but I still feel that time has stopped for me.  The wailing, alien creature, my grief, is quieter – still there, still ready to take me by surprise and put all reason to rest, but I am beginning to function again.  When someone complains of a sore knee, or an aching hip, I am able to look reasonably sympathetic and say the right things, but all the time with the knowledge that they have no idea about suffering at all.   

Oh yes, I am beginning to function again – after a fashion - because that is what ‘the world’ expects me to do. 

We don’t ‘do’ grief as a society, do we?  That is why grief is treated like a mental illness – shuffled off to the ‘bereavement’ counselors (in the past, we might have gone to our priests – perhaps some of us still do).  No – society wants us to keep ‘busy’ because us grieving ones, and those who are terminally ill, are awkward reminders about love and loss and illness and death; reminders too that no amount of keeping fit in the gym, no amount of going out there and getting and spending, or making our ‘mark’ on the world in other ways, will prevent the inevitable.  (People keep on suggesting that I take up various ‘hobbies’ – do they think taking up knitting will fill the yawning gap in my life?)

Bah (or fill in with the expletive of your choice) to the shallow ‘world,’ I say!  I am older and, I hope, wiser than I was a year ago when I first found myself here.  You all know one of the lessons I have learned – live for the moment, and love. 

But the relentless demands of time have been felt and I have been busy.  The formal complaint has gone in and I sincerely hope that I will have a little part to play in raising awareness about oesophageal cancer, about the abysmal survival rates, and the very patchy treatment in the UK.  Perhaps.  However, I think that three MPs have read the letter now … We will see, in time.

Finally, for those very faithful readers: Cold Comfort Cottage is just about wind and weather proof for the winter; the two remaining hounds are going to have to adjust to a new regime when their mistress returns to work; lawyers are going to be involved about the plumbing situation and the Ancient Aga is still being difficult. 

Best wishes to you all.

xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Grace, I have been wondering how you are and I'm so glad you have posted even though things are very tough for you.

For us, Jack has now got a hospice nurse who has sorted out his medication, but as we know, everything seems to have a side effect, and each day is becoming harder. He isnt really able  to go out any more but we did go out for our sons 18th on Wednesday which was a milestone we didnt think he would make at one time. My heart is breaking but I still have a smile plastered to my face most of the time - one of the reasons I gave up counselling after my 2nd session is because I need to be positive and I cant do that if I'm falling apart.

Best wishes

Clare x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Buzzie, I remember you and  your really black sadness at the time.  You are still here though.  You see the will to live is so strong and no matter how we are feeling, in the end the will to live wins, hopefully every time and we just carry on taking one day at a time.  Anyway, where would the hounds be without you - a home in a cage me thinks.  You are their world.  Maybe going back to work is a new beginning for you and the hounds will get used to it.  As one door closes, another one always opens up.  You will always love and miss your husband but you have a life to live whichever way you choose.  I'm still here too after breast cancer and living each day.  I read about our boys in Afghanistan and all the wars this world has been through.  The youth that died in these wars had their lives taken from them.  Please keep us informed how you get on - you are still welcome here as the site is for everyone affected by cancer and all our feelings can be shared.  Anyway, I've gone on far too long with too much drivel so I wish you well and send hugs to your loneliness.  God bless, Annie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you all for your up-dates and comments.  I know that some of you are going through desperate times.  We say a lot about people being 'in our thoughts,' both on the site, and off.  However, you are in my thoughts, my 'cyber' friends . We have gone through, and are going through, a lot together.  It helps, doesn't it?

John - I couldn't agree with you more about Thatcherism!  I am so sorry about your 'blip' and hope that all is well.

Lots of love and vibes to you all,

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Buzzie thinking of you.  Your blogs have really helped me and I am very grateful to you for being willing to post when you have been hurting so much.  Keep strong.  Glad you are trying to raise awareness of the dismal survival rates for oesophageal cancer.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Buzzie, wise words as usual, but then your blogs are always wise, insightful, compassionate ... I could go on but don't want to bore you. My Mum was widowed in March (for the second time) and said to me on Sunday that she has felt a bit under the weather recently and wonders if it could be a reaction to all that life (and cancer) threw at her in the preceding two years. I'm so sad that she has had to deal with all this twice - and the 'friends' all seem to be drifting away and at almost 80 she's finding it very hard. I hope you (and the hounds) have a little more light in your life at Cold Comfort Cottage. And I truly am 'thinking of you', love Val XX