The Widow Vibe - And the Question of Time

2 minute read time.

It was eighteen weeks today. 

And it is nearly a year since I started the blog on this site. I don’t know how many of my original readers are still here … ‘Stuff’, as they say, ‘happens’.  And there is some ‘stuff’ that none of us want to think about happening because it is just too hard …

I want to know where some of you have gone, how you are, but dare not ask. 

So, it was eighteen weeks today. 

The world has been hurrying on, but I still feel that time has stopped for me.  The wailing, alien creature, my grief, is quieter – still there, still ready to take me by surprise and put all reason to rest, but I am beginning to function again.  When someone complains of a sore knee, or an aching hip, I am able to look reasonably sympathetic and say the right things, but all the time with the knowledge that they have no idea about suffering at all.   

Oh yes, I am beginning to function again – after a fashion - because that is what ‘the world’ expects me to do. 

We don’t ‘do’ grief as a society, do we?  That is why grief is treated like a mental illness – shuffled off to the ‘bereavement’ counselors (in the past, we might have gone to our priests – perhaps some of us still do).  No – society wants us to keep ‘busy’ because us grieving ones, and those who are terminally ill, are awkward reminders about love and loss and illness and death; reminders too that no amount of keeping fit in the gym, no amount of going out there and getting and spending, or making our ‘mark’ on the world in other ways, will prevent the inevitable.  (People keep on suggesting that I take up various ‘hobbies’ – do they think taking up knitting will fill the yawning gap in my life?)

Bah (or fill in with the expletive of your choice) to the shallow ‘world,’ I say!  I am older and, I hope, wiser than I was a year ago when I first found myself here.  You all know one of the lessons I have learned – live for the moment, and love. 

But the relentless demands of time have been felt and I have been busy.  The formal complaint has gone in and I sincerely hope that I will have a little part to play in raising awareness about oesophageal cancer, about the abysmal survival rates, and the very patchy treatment in the UK.  Perhaps.  However, I think that three MPs have read the letter now … We will see, in time.

Finally, for those very faithful readers: Cold Comfort Cottage is just about wind and weather proof for the winter; the two remaining hounds are going to have to adjust to a new regime when their mistress returns to work; lawyers are going to be involved about the plumbing situation and the Ancient Aga is still being difficult. 

Best wishes to you all.

xx

Anonymous
  • Hi Grace    still here, though having a little blip which will hopefully sort itself.

To take your discussion one step further in some walks of this modern life we too are commodities. Things were never the same after thatcher when the profit and the moment was what it was about. We have lost all sense of worth as we get sucked in to that fast world.

Sadly it takes something like cancer to take us back to basics and appreciate those we love and have around us, what we do together and realise the simple things can bring so much pleasure.

If only people would stop and look and listen we may have a better world in which to live, sadly I cannot see that happening.

Take care and stay warm   hugs john

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Grace

How very true what you say, live for the moment and love, as none of us knows what lies around the corner for us.I have been thinking about you a lot lately wondering how you are, Tom is still fighting this damn disease with every ounce of strength he has ,going to have a stent next week to see if it will help with his eating,but he has become an expert in the differant makes of hot chocolate anything to get the calories in.

My love and thoughts to you from me and Tom.

Marianne xx  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Grace - I Do think of you very often and Love and appreciate each post that you put on here. Let's warm our cottages in preparation for our winters, and keep writing to each other. Sending you big hugs!

Love, Maureen xxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Grace it's good to hear from you again.

What you say is very true. I am 4 years widowed and my family hardly ever talk about him unless I mention him.

His children rarely keep in contact with me now. They did for a couple of years. I used to babysit for his sons children but not for some time now.

I have been lucky enough to find a companion who is made from the same mould as my darling husband.

I haven't committed myself totally we still live apart. I don't think I ever will want to live with another man.

Thank goodness for him because he helped me through my own battle with cancer. My family felt a phone call on the 1st day of my round of chemo when the side affects hadn't kicked in was enough.

I also lost many of my friends. Some people I had met since I had been widowed.

The world is a shallow place and the pelple who have never been hit by a tradegy, as in my case twice, expect you to carry on with your life.

Someone said to me (my own daughter) about my cancer,  " it is your journey mum and you can't expect people to live it for you"

As you can imagine I was heartbroken. I don't want people to live my journey for me, but I would just like them to help me along alittle when I stumble.

We are still here for you Grace!

Take Care and All the best to You.

Love Julie X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Grace, I have just picked up on your blog but do know how you feel.  I lost  my darling Martin from stomach cancer just over 5 weeks ago.  No-one can understand what you are going through but the people who have been through this too.  It is a long hard road and is not helped by the treatment that is dished out. But life goes on and we have to go on too, even though there are days when we just want the pain to go away.  So, although I have not been with you on your road over the last year, I hope to be with you on your future path.  You never know, we might be able to help each other get through this devastating time.

Love

Pam xx