Can anyone advise please?!!!

Less than one minute read time.

When my mum was first diagnosed with bowel cancer a few months ago, I thought that once the shock of it all had passed and the operation done that would be the hard part. Now she is going for chemotherapy to make sure that the cancer is completely eradicated. Now I'm not so sure which is the hard part! Like a roller coaster you get over the first hill and as you head down the other side another one looms. I'm told that while she is having chemo, not just the obvious occurs i.e. hairloss, tiredness etc. But, the more deeper emotional changes occur like memory loss, mood swings perhaps, it makes me nervous almost scared to call her incase she can't remember who I am or is a total stranger.

If anyone who reads this has experienced what I am facing with my mother please tell me what to expect!!!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Different chemo drugs have different side effects. My onco said he done literally thousands like me but could not predict how I would react. I had mine before surgery and it made me incontinent. I lost my toenails. Had a massive change in taste and got a craving for chocolate which I don't normally like. Kept my hair - such as it is. You are worrying too much about memory loss - it's not a altzheimers type it's just daft things like appointments, dates, forgetting to put eggs in your biscuit mix. Hardly worth worrying about - don't let it  - laugh it off - it's chemo-brain! I was on capecetabine and the travelling and the waiting for appointments was the worst part of it . Don't worry and don't let her worry.

Keep smiling

Drew

X