nhs saved my mums life!! regret bitching about them!!

1 minute read time.
So on the 10th of June, i wrote mum is seriously anemic with the ph level of 5.. the normal is 9 to 14. Anyways a doctor told my mum on wednesday about this but said "if my levels were 5 i would be on the floor" but dont you worry go into hospital tomorrow and have the blood transfusion and your be fine.....SO Thursday 11th june i wake up at 6am and mum is unconsious and isnt responing, i called the ambulance who rush her to hospital and we were then told she has a serious Chest infection and Bladder infection..... NOT detected from district nurses!!! So as we are just watching mum completely out of it the doctor calls us to the side and says.. " i dont think the antibiotics are going to hit the infections" she has 24hours to live!! They carry on pumping her with 4pints of blood and saline and antibiotics, you could see the colour coming back in her face straight away, but still out of it. So we cry, shout scream thinking this is it... Friday 12th June Mums awake and has improved dramticly the doctors said the anitboitics have worked!!! Sat 13th Sun 14th Mon 15th we see more and more of improvment, her bloods went back up to 9 which is perfect for a cancer patient and MS sufferer. Tuesday 16th June mum is allowed home and there happy with how well she is doing!!! cant belive shes home!!!! She is still on antibiotics and still very sleepy but we expected that!! I have to say if it wasnt for the doctors and nurses in the NHS princess Royal Haywards heath my mum wouldnt be here!! I owe them so much!!
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Becki, I'm glad to see that your mum pulled through.  I can imagine how frightening this must have been for you all.

I know what you mean regarding the NHS.  I know a lot of the time they get a bad press, but on the whole they do a very good job.  If it wasn't for the teams of doctors and nurses I wouldn't be here today, so I for one am very grateful to them and hate to hear people running them down.

Still I suppose that's the British way, we always need something to moan about, if it's not the weather it's something else lol.

So hope your mum continues to do well.  Best wishes, Christine xx

• Hi,  so pleased to hear of you mum's marked improvement.  My family has everything to thank the nhs for as we have had several family members who have had amazing care.  I also work in the nhs and am aware of the downfalls of working within it's confines.  I hope that your mum continues to improve and enjoy some degree of good health. x x