Update 20th September 2013

1 minute read time.

This has been a difficult week and I would describe the progress as two steps forward and one step back.....

Early in the week things were going fine. I was continuing to talk for a few minutes each day and managing the accompanying pain with morphine. I have managed to get my weight up to above 11 stone and was hoping to get a few more pounds on by the end of the week. I did my first exercise session on my cycling machine for several weeks – it was only 15 minutes at a very low resistance setting but it is a start to building my strength up.

The hospital made some changes to my medication and that was where things started to go wrong. I started to feel really nauseous on Wednesday evening and by Thursday morning I was vomiting uncontrollably. I was admitted to hospital and they fixed things for me. I was rehydrated and my medication was reverted to what it was before. In the overall scheme of things I don't think that this is a major episode – just one of the minor blips that I will experience from time to time.

My throat now feels like it's been ripped to pieces but looking on the bright side, at least I'm still able to say a few words. I've named myself the Hoarse Whisperer.

I feel much better today and I've increased my food intake to account for the 24 hours I missed so I'll soon be back on track.

Plans for next week are to get back onto the cycling machine and increase the length of the walks that I'm doing. I am going to try and swallow some liquid over the next day or so – it sounds very easy but it is really quite scary.

Lynne's doing well and spent yesterday in hospital with me acting as my interpretor / chaperone / appropriate adult!

Anonymous