Progress up 16th August 2013

2 minute read time.
Just completed week three of the weekly chemo and daily radiotherapy and the side effects are now beginning to really kick in. The nausea is now nicely under control and I can now manage my NHS milkshakes and keep them down. Unfortunately I lost the stone that I'd managed to put on before the treatment started but I've now got things under control at 11st. I anticipate that I'll be nil-by-mouth by the middle of next week - at least then the milkshakes will go in via another route and I won't have to taste them!
I'm now well into a daily routine of commuting to the Hospital each day - it really does work like clockwork. Thursdays are a long day because I spend 8 or 9 hours on a drip, but I entertain myself with movies on my iPad or watching the nurses going about their business (I reserve the right to be non-politically correct whilst - I can blame it on the medication!).
The side-effects (pain, extreme fatigue, no saliva, inability to swallow - there are a couple of others that I won't mention here with in case people are eating) are all being managed with medication. In a strange way the fatigue is welcome - I sleep well at night (from 7.30pm to 3.30am) and for a couple of hours most afternoons.
The pain in my throat can be an issue but I have liquid morphine - wonderful stuff!
The half an egg on the side of my neck has gone down and is no longer visible bar some redness from the radiation - there are still two pea-sized lumps that they will operate on to remove if they still remain after three months or so. They say that these contain dead cancer cells. 
I see the consultants every Wednesday to check on progress / side effects etc. They seem pleased with the progress and my PMA (positive mental attitude) that helps make me eat and continue to exercise. I can't run at the moment but I used the cycle machine for the first week of treatment (until the vomiting episode) and I now walk 5 miles a day.  The prognosis is still the same - good but with a long way to go. They tell me that the side-effects will continue to develop for several weeks after the treatment has finshed - things should then stabilise for a couple of weeks and then matters should slowly start to inprove. I then go for scans and assessment after three months where I anticipate being given the all clear.
My lovely wife Lynne is still coping really well and is making things a lot more tolerable than they would otherwise be. I do frequently remind myself that it is in some ways harder for her than it is for me. I manage my treatment and medication quite well but she gives me a prod when needed. She is an absolute star. Overall things seem to be moving in the right direction.
Anonymous