Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

1 month down the line and after all the ups and down with Bert's mood his infections and everything else. They eventually allowed him to come home for a week yesterday. 10 hours later we were waiting for an ambulance to take him back as his temp had gone from 37.9 to 39.2 in less than half an hour, we spent most of the night in A&E waiting for a bed for him. So tonight the is back on   IV Antibiotics to try and get rid of the infection wherever it is lurking. It will soon be time for his next cycle of chemo so it does not look like he will get home before he is due to start again. He looks really miserable so hopefully the antibiotics will kick in quick

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

What a shame berts time at home was so short and frustrating for you both, but i suppose the only way to look at it is he is in the right place, these infedtions can take hold so quickly and the only way to sort them is IV antibiotics, you never know he might be over this infection in a few days and once the course of antibiotics has finished they might let him home, fingers crossed, even if it's only a couple of days before his next course is due

In the meantime keep your spirits up, yhese things are sent to try us,but it is not uncommon,

How is Bert today? he must be so fed up, as they do having been caged up for weeks, but i am sure he will be home with you soon

keep us posted lol fudgecake x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bert is quite poorly just now his temp wont stay down and his BP wont go up, They have him on 3 different IV antibiotics plus the usual prophalytic  ant-virals and anti-fungals he has not eaten for 3 days and looks awful. He keeps getting rigors which is pretty scary to watch and as you said it comes on so quickly his temp is ok one minute then he is freezing and shaking so hard then up the temp goes again. they have removed his PICC line in case the infection is in that but they don't really know. They say that he probably won't get out before his next cycle as it has been delayed now anyway and the may have to put in a Hickman line instead of the PICC. But right now we are taking it a day at a time I think this has been the longest week so far and I think the one that makes me feel most helpless. I felt so guilty yesterday as I went to have my hair done and the staff met me as I entered the ward and kept me outside his room to tell me how poorly he was. But he is not asking to get home

Will try and keep you posted

LoveTeri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, I am so sorry to hear Bert is having such a rough time just now, but he is most certainly in the right place and as you say he is receiving the right anti fungals and IV antibiotics. I know the hospital will jiggle them around as indicated and there are lots on the shelf. I hope and pray with your support he will pull through this infection and his next chemo will continue as planned.

This disease really is a beast.

Thinking of you, with love Debbiexx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I totally agree with what debbie said, he is in the right place where they can deal with the infection, but it sounds like bert does understand the need for him still to be in hospital and is hopefully beginning to accept this fact now, still get the next course finished and i am sure he will be home for a well deserved break!

Keep us posted teri and best wishes to you both.

lol fudgecake x