Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Fudgecake

It's been a couple of up and down days Bert has seen the Psychiatrist who said he was "mildly depressed and a little anxious" but did not change his meds to help him the Haematologist however, did listen to me and has increased his diazepam which is helping.

He is not too good at the moment as he has quite a bad infection, he needed 2 units of blood and 1 of platelets last night. I was hoping he would feel a little better today but he sounds dreadful and even the nurse said he was pretty bad today. I think he will now realise why he has to stay in hospital and cannot come home. I will drop a note lateri as I am on my lunch break

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, Just a quick note to let you know I am thinking of you both and hoping that things start to improve for Bert soon. Sorry to read that he is still down, hopefully his meds will help with this a little. How r u coping?  This emotional rollercoaster we are part of is very difficult , and it is hard on you too juggling work and visiting so pls look after yourself,

Love to you both, Lynn x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lynn

Thanks for your good wishes. He still has his infection so is still on antibiotics but is beginning to look a little better. I am barely coping just got to grin and bear it and keep going. How is your Mum and Dad doing at least I only have myself to look after as my lot are married except for my youngest who is 25 and he stays here with his partner so they all have each other but you  have your Dad as well as your own family so you take care too

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Here we are on day 19 i never imagined that we would get this far. Bert has had a nasty infection this week and been quite poorly.However, today he looked so much better although he slept all day.He needed some more blood so hopefully he will be a little less sleepy. but at least his infection seems to be going. He still has quite a lot of anxiety attacks but is getting better with that as well

Tomorrow is a new day so we shall see what it brings

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Not a good day today Bert was very weepy and so stressed and anxious. I went early to visit and he was lying in the dark he was angry and upset an no one in particular or for any reason other than he has to stay in hospital. I finally managed to get him calmed down. He still has his infection needed yet more platelets and now has to take more antifungals as well as antibiotics. Still keeps getting a temp and his BP keeps dropping and his heart rate keeps rising so he still needs IV fluids which is driving him mad

Hope tomorrow brings better news

Teri