Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

That is Bert all settled into his room for his next cycle. What we  did not realise is that he is hooked up to chemo for the  the full 5 days stopping only for a shower each day. It all sounds really horrible and I am sure will be a long 5 days for him, Still if that's what it takes to keep him in remission.

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This session is knocking hell out of Bert As I said yesterday the 1st bag of chemo goes on for 1 hour  he gets flushed through twice, then the 2nd bag of Chemo for an hour flushed through twice again. Next comes a shower then the Cytarabine for 22 hours. it is making him feel awful he is not sleeping feels nausea constantly despite ante-emetics  is really weepy has had a thumping sore head since starting and has another 3 days to go. I am exhausted and he has only been in for 3 days.

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, this round is tough isn't it - but you and Bert will get through it, there are cupboards full of cocktails, potions and lotions that can help with the side effects - but Bert must tell the staff what he is feeling so they can help. I know that is a challenge in itself!

Thinking of you both, Debbie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bert had a better day today,my daughter had words with the Consultant and requested that a PICC line be inserted as one of the Chemo's is really harsh and is causing a lot of pain this is supposed to happen tomorrow but we shall wait and see. He needs some blood so hopefully that will make a difference too we are almost at the end of the weeks Chemo thank goodness.However, despite what the Consultant says I still feel it was very unfair of them not  to let us know that he was having Chemo for 24hours a day as it came as quite a shock he wen in thinking that he was getting it twice daily.

Will keep you posted

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

No Picc line today as Bert needed to be transfused 2 units of blood so they were unable to do the line the say Monday now. Bert is feeling better today apart from the headaches and nausea after the MDT meeting today it was decided because of the headaches (or maybe because of my daughter complaining) that they would do a CAT scan of his brain to make sure everything is ok. Whatever the reason I am glad to hear that they are doing this as it will finally put my mind at rest.

Will keep posting with more info

Love Teri