Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Belinda

Bert's temp has dropped a bit and I think he is beginning to feel a little better. I have also calmed down a bit and made an appointment to speak to his consultant next week regarding the BMT as they told him today that it is possible that he can have it now. I don't know what they are doing they keep changing their minds but I will find out next week I hope.

What about your mum how is she coping does she still have her infection or have they managed to sort it out

Love to all

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya Teri

That sounds better news then. Lets hope he can have the BMT afterall. Fingers crossed for you both.

Hows he doing infection and temp wise? Looks like Bert might be on the mend.

Is he eating ok? My mum isn't really. She only manages little bits of stuff, but today she has had a  bit more.

The docs say she is doing brilliantly and might only need to stay in another week, so fingers crossed for her too.

Belinda x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Belinda Bert still has an infection I now know that it is not a urine infection,but his temp went way back up again this morning and they are giving him a different antibiotic. His BP is still very low though and they do not know why.  They blamed his anxiety tablets but he has been off them for 2 days and it is no different so they are thinking about letting him have one back tomorrow. He is eating but forcing himself to do so he said he does not want to lose weight said everything tastes the same. Good news about your mum finger crossed it all goes well for her

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri

Is Bert feeling better today? I hope he is. Have they got to the bottom of what the infection is yet?

Haven't heard from dad today, but I'm sure he will email or text later on in the day.

Love Belinda x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

What a week this has been Last Friday Bert was told that they do not have a donor for his BMT but are still looking. On Monday he was told he was not getting the BMT because it had been decided he was too old among other things. On Wednesday he was told that the BMT was do-able and that he could have it if he wanted. Today a letter arrived from the Beatson with an appointment for Assessment for bone marrow transplant talk about mixed emotions and mixed messages. He is feeling a bit better tonight his temp has stayed down today (fingers crossed)  but his BP is still very low.

Hopefully things will improve tomorrow

Love Teri