Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri

Sorry to hear of your news about Bert. My mum has an infection too today. One in her bowels so she is on antiobiotics through a drip and has to be on it for 10 days.

The docs says she isn't at her lowest yet either.... God it is a worry isn't it.

I do hope that doctors change their mind about the Bone Marrow Transplant. Could he have a stem cell transplant or a mini transplant?

I've been reading a Leukaemia site in the US and they have a hospital called Fred Hutchinson who does transplants in the older patients , not that Bert is considered old.

Can you get a second opinion? Not sure what happens with my mum . I just hopes she can keep in remission and it doesn't come back.

All my love

Belinda xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Still has infection possible urine, but he also has a sore throat, spiked a temp tonight so is feeling pretty miserable. I have arranged an appointment with the consultant to discuss the reasons for the change of mind on the BMT. I might need to go to Glasgow to discuss it with the oncology team to try and find out why when it was so urgent 3 months ago its not now.

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri

Just popped in to see how Bert is doing. How his temp, has it dropped a bit now?

Binnie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Belinda

Bert's temp has dropped a bit and I think he is beginning to feel a little better. I have also calmed down a bit and made an appointment to speak to his consultant next week regarding the BMT as they told him today that it is possible that he can have it now. I don't know what they are doing they keep changing their minds but I will find out next week I hope.

What about your mum how is she coping does she still have her infection or have they managed to sort it out

Love to all

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Teri,

Think mum still has the infection, but she keeps getting the runs so it could be because of that and her not drinking and eating much. They keep giving her fluids like Pottasium to keep her salt level ok and other things.

She is now neutropenic and her temp is fine today. They check it about 6 times a day i think.

They have given her something to kickstart the white cells. Other than that, she is ok.

Well hopefully Bert can go ahead and have the transplant. They do change their minds a lot don't they? Same with my mum saying she can't have anymore chemo, then yes she can etc etc.

I think they mean they can't have the transplant/chemo at that time as they think they aren't strong enough. But when Bert and my mum get stronger, they change their minds again. I do wish they would make it more clearer and say, well for now you can't have this/that done, but maybe in the future when you are stronger. Then we wouldn't have worried half as much.

A big hug for you

xx