Too late to say goodbye

1 minute read time.

My 88yr old mum-in-law has been suffering from the early stages of Alzheimers for the last 2 years & I am her main carer. She hasn't seen or spoken to her only sister Doreen (who lives close by) for several years as they have always had a bit of a volatile relationship with each other - both having strong characters. My hubby hadn't seen his aunt either but I have recently been bumping into his cousin at the supermarket & his aunt Doreen has been made aware of her sister's failing mental health. Aunt Doreen still didn't contact her sister as she was then scared that my mum-in-law wouldn't know who she was. Before we could bring them together again Aunt Doreen was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer last month. Hubby & I managed to visit her in hospital where she was having chemo & hoping to go home once her blood count was stablised. We were waiting for Doreen to get home before we took m-i-l to visit her as it would have been too upsetting for them both to meet in a hospital environment. M-i-l has been kept updated all the way along & is anxious to see her sister but her failing mental health means she doesn't realise how serious her sister's condition is.

Unfortunately Doreen only came out of hospital for a few days & was rushed back in at the weekend. We have just been told that she is now unconscious & is expected to die at any time - it has all been so quick - 5 weeks between diagnosis & now. I am absolutely gutted that we missed the chance to re-unite both sisters together & I keep asking myself if I should have just taken mum-in-law to the hospital, no matter how difficult it would have been for them both to see each other in their respective conditions, rather than them not see each other at all. I'm dreading telling m-i-l the sad news when Doreen dies as I don't know how she will take it or how she will cope with the funeral.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sending you big hugs Angie.

I hope that Marion gets through the next few weeks without too much distress and thankful that Doreen passed peacefully.

Take care of yourself hunni.

Much love,

Nin xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Angie,

My thoughts are with you and your family. May Doreen Rest in Peace. I hope Marion comes to terms with Doreens Passing.  You look after yourself.

Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.xx