24/08/2013 - Nightmares

1 minute read time.

I've noticed over the past few weeks that I've started dreaming again.

I've always been very interested in dreaming and have several books about it. A while ago I got heavily into teaching myself how to lucid dream, and unfortunately after that I 'stopped' dreaming completely.

Last night we were watching TV and I must have dosed off for a minute.

I had one of those really short but really vivid dreams, it seemed to only last about 30 seconds. I was sat on the floor near our bed and I was playing with our rabbit, Cotton. He was nibbling on my fingers. Then I heard a noise upstairs like a bang and the floorboards creaking (I'm convinced we've got a ghost, so I think that's where all this started) and it got louder and louder until there was this really loud banging all around me and suddenly there were two Cottons, and they had one of my fingers in each mouth and they started biting down HARD. I felt something brush past my hair and there was this roaring sound and something grabbed the side of my face and was spinning my head round. I was trying to scream for my boyfriend (I call him Pea) and I remember screaming out for him at least 5 times but nothing was coming out. I was screaming as hard as I could and no sound would come out.

I woke up crying and called out for Pea who was in the bathroom washing his hands. Turns out that whilst I'd fallen asleep he'd gone upstairs to get some ice cream, hence the banging and the creaking floorboards. I was crying my eyes out by this point and had to have a Propanolol to calm down.

Hmmmm....

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sometimes reality and our dreams collide. I can't think of specific examples, but that's happened to me in the past. Breathlessness and an inability to call out have featured in the most unpleasant episodes. The dream starts off benign then goes way out of control. I wouldn't worry too much on that score. I would suggest your brain is trying to unscramble everything.

It's like emptying out a load of post in a sorting office for an area you don't know and you are without postcodes to guide you on the envelopes. You try to put everything into a logical order and then find out there are two places one called, let's say Station Road and the other is called Station Approach and you have been mixing up the envelopes. Then you have to try to undo everything and it gets more uncontrollable when you find there is also a Station Street, and then there is a Station Way, and so it goes on.

Our brains are pretty amazing machines. As a machine our brain is a pretty friendly machine on the whole. It just needs looking after and the cogs need a little lubrication. The mental equivalent of a drop of WD40 does the trick most of the time for most of us. Sometimes it needs a little more TLC.

When I worried Laing said (and I've never found the term except from his mouth), "Dinae greet, mah wee bairn." Don't worry my little lad. It always made me feel better! Any Scot out there who can help out? Or was it just a local Selkirk turn of phrase?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You explained that very well Tim - thank you :)

I did so much research on dreaming I could quite happily talk about it all day it absolutely fascinates me. I think that particular nightmare had a 'Station way' essence about it. It was caused simply by my boyfriend running upstairs and back down again. How and why my brain turned it into that I'll never know!

Dinae greet mah wee bairn! Hahah I'm going to remember that one :)

Thanks again Tim, hope you're well x