The Right Shoes for an MRI

1 minute read time.

Yesterday I remembered that Bette Midler once said: “Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world”. I loved the sound of that advice! It was (dauntingly) ambitious yet still affordable and conveniently well-timed for my next appointment!

In my case, I wanted to start off modestly, with a simple focus on ‘conquering’ my first MRI experience. But the problem here was that I don’t actually own many shoes. And the few that I do have are mostly fancy MRI-unfriendly ones. The sort best suited to parties (or really terrible experiences in MRI scanners). Frankly, I was pretty disappointed in myself. Why has my shopping history been so wide off the mark? Why on earth did I not search for the right shoes the very moment I heard these words of wisdom? What opportunities I must have missed for becoming a Successful Person! It explained so much, so suddenly!

I needed to come up with a plan of action and a positive attitude. My normal, everyday shoes were still soaking wet from a walk earlier. To make matters worse, a dramatic rainstorm was now belting down outside. Slippers, flip flops and clogs would be absolutely out of the question. And then a flash of inspiration came to me: I would wear my wellington boots to the MRI scan!

All the way to the hospital, my boots squeaked and gleamed. I didn’t have to avoid the enormous puddles flooding the pavements and roads – I could wade right through them with a proud and powerful stride. The boots were perfect! In the end though, I decided to take them off shortly before going into the scanner room. As I’m sure Bette would agree, once a girl has finally found 'the right shoes', she can surely take them off when she wants to as well. Ah, that discovery was liberating.

Anonymous
  • Wear those wellies with pride to chemo too! I had my 2nd chemo session yesterday and wore a dress and put on make up. If that's now my most important social event on the calendar, then I'm attending in style!

• Your blogs are so funny !! And just so as it really is. I got in a load of trouble for not having slippers at the operation. I did have my shoes though.  I couldn't get in the green compression stockings without help (I did try) and then was given children's slippers to put on which were bright yellow with spots on, just put on the end of my toes, so waddled down to Theatre like a frog. I didn't want to upset the Nurse looking after me.