chemo, a horrid taste in the mouth: TIPS FOR ALL

Less than one minute read time.

Thanks to a lovely friend of mine that sadly lost her father a couple of years ago, she gave me some tips for food and anything edible really that will help during the after tastes of chemo.

Banana's only 1 a day though!!
Have potassium and magnesium - these help with the bloods and stop headaches
and nausea and are a number 1 must - be amazed how it can make feel better.

Werthers or boiled sweets:
Give sugar and good to stop nausea, and any nasty tastes she may get in
mouth. (Chemo chemicals can be known to leave vile taste in mouth)

As taste buds can go, she may find she needs summit with a kick, dad would
have lemon or ginger cordial. (But anything sour will do - sweet usually
adds to sickness). Mix with water - helps with fluids and if she can't
stomach much this may help with fluid levels.

Orange juice
Vitamin c to try and keep immunity - but not sure if this would be ok if acid because  of stomach so check out.

Like when pregnant, eat little and often and keep fluids up.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

cheers sarsfield i hope it does help many, unfortunately my sister cannot eat much and yet she loves her food and the chemo drugs have dulled her appetite greatly so she hasnt been able to endure any of my tips at present.

thanks jules i hope your chemo works out for the best and we see you on the other side chin up and hugs sorry you have to go through this

no worries kate g i hope any other advice and tips i can put i will, sadly its from a friend who lost her father to cancer but she is quite happy to be a great friend to me through this.

thanks mrsperson, id give her the pineapple but she needs to stay from acidic items due to her stomach cancer or so she been told, she loves her food and is finding it very upsetting and frustrating that she cannot even eat a whole cream cake

bexjai as mrsperson il see if the pineapple works even if she sucks on it and spits it out thanks to you all keep the tips coming whatever you find useful

my sister is ok with milk in milky coffee and she had 3 pringles the other day bless her, she made the excuse sausage was greasy, but she isnt a big meat lover anyway so i loved her excuse but she quite happily nibbled pringles

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Girl after my own heart,

Pringles.........sausages.............pringles.......sauges.........PRINGLES

Seriously though, hope her eating improves.

Shaz (((((((((((XXXXXXXXXXXXX))))))))))

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

cheers shaz :) xx she wont have pineapple cus of the acid, same with tomatoes or leeks and onions as it makes her sick she has a great diet mum and dad are looking after her, thank yoiu all il try an keep up with all the replies as much as i can :) x