Prosthetic testicle

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 98 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi all,

Was just wondering on people's views about having a prosthetic testicle put in when having one removed?

Tom's surgery is on 3rd October, and he's undecided about whether to have one put in or not.  He really doesn't want to have more surgery after this one (he's also having lymph nodes removed, so quite big surgery) so if he doesn't get it now, I don't think he'll get one at all.  Popping one in at a later date isn't really an option.

Has anyone had one put in? Has anyone not had one put it?  I've heard that if you don't the remaining testicle balances out, but wouldn't it feel a bit strange just having one?  Although I thought that some men look like that only have one anyway??

Sorry for rambling, just trying to help my hubby decide what to do.  I don't mind either way, its down to him, he's so undecided he's even put a poll on his facebook page!!!

thanks in advance :)

Clair

• Great to hear the good news, and that you're doing well!!

It's sad to say that many others will have to go on the same journey as you - and I'm sure your advice and best wishes will support them - this is a great forum and definitely one to keep supporting.

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Fantastic news, well done St M. I am sure that future sufferers will benefit from your experience and advice. Stay in touch.

Cheers

Rich

• FormerMember

Hi, Grizzly91,

Thank you for your honesty and the depth you went to in describing what you went through. I was diagnosed with testicular cancer in March of this year and has the surgery to remove one of them. I was supposed to have the prosthesis put in during the initial surgery but they said there was a high chance of infection so they wanted to wait. I was a little disappointed but accepted it. Now they are offering me the chance to have the prosthesis put in. Before even meting me to discuss the procedure they have scheduled me in for next month lol. As i work in the NHS I made quite a fuss and demanded the surgeon phone contact me. Needless to say i thought i would look around and see what i could unearth about both the procedure and the prosthesis itself.

I was on the fence as to whether i should actually go through with it but your testimony has tipped me in the direction of not. I came to this decision as i to am in my 20 and before the initial surgery was quiet active. My main concern was the amount of time it takes to heal from the operation. I recall sneezing after the first op and feeling like someone had torn my groin like Velcro lol. So to go through that again is quite unappealing, not to mention disruptive to work.

I also just wanted to encourage you as I had a girlfriend when it was diagnosed, and although we aren’t together anymore it wasn’t to do with the situation. She was very supportive throughout. Since i have also found new romance and she is also very accepting and supportive of the whole situation. Keep believing you’re the Sugar Honey Ice Tea and women are bound to as well.

• FormerMember

Lets face it. being as bit different is a fantastic excuse for a 'medical examination' and playing 'nurses and doctors' with your girlfriend.

:)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi all,

Thought I would throw in my own personal experiences and hopefully it may help others come up with the correct decision for them.

I first noticed a difference in the size of my right testicle back in December 2010. From watching TV shows especially programs such as "Embarrassing Bodies" I was very aware that if you ever notice something different with your testicles you should always get it checked out. So the following week I made an appointment with our family doctor, who noticed a small lump on my right testicle and instantly referred me to have an ultra sound, CT scan, and see a urologist.

The urologist called me on Christmas eve to explain that the best course of action would be to have the testicle removed as soon as possible. He also asked me whether I would like a prosthetic testicle inserted and gave me a few days to think about it. 

Personally at the time I was very positive about the whole thing, I was more happy that it had been discovered early and that it was very treatable. I asked the opinion of my girlfriend, family and friends about having a prosthetic testicle inserted; the opinions were fairly balanced at 50/50 for having it done. For me I was in a very loving relationship at the time however my thoughts were more towards the future and what it would be like to be single again. Based on this I decided to get a prosthetic testicle.

Since all of this happened I did split up with my girlfriend and I can honestly say I'm very happy on the decision I made to have a prosthetic testicle. I have always been a self-concious guy, appearances and looks have always been a part of my life (although they are finally going away with age and experience!) so the thought of not looking or feeling normal was the deciding factor. 

At first after the operation it was very difficult to get used to it. Although to look at you could never tell it was a prosthetic, the texture and weight were odd. The prosthetic itself feels like one of those rubber balls you threw around as a kid and is a bit heavier than a normal testicle. With the support of my girlfriend I quickly got used to it, and its become a part of me like any other part of my body. I can honestly say I'm glad I had that prosthetic...it certainly is a fun pub game when you meet new people!

• FormerMember

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with stage 1 back in December 2011 and had the op to remove 1 testicle a few days before Xmas. All went well not much pain and groin scar was very unpleasant but after a few weeks was fine. I am in a long term relationship and am now 43 so I got this quite late in life to the average. I did not have a prosthesis put in at the time of my original op as consultant thought risk of infection was too high (despite my oncologist follow up consultant telling me that is rubbish). so after chasing this up and waiting months over a year later I am due a prosthesis implant 30th January.

After weighing everything up I have decided after being certain of having the op for cosmetic reasons to look `normal` to not have it. Yes I am 43 yes I am in a long term relationship and do I want a hard ball that rides high and is sewn to my sack that has risks of complications and will always feel different even if it looks slightly better ? I am beginning to think what is the point. I have a great sex life supportive partner I beat this disease after just 1 high dose chemo session ...I am still numb with no feeling below scar after 1 year and I want to be opened up to put a hard ball in and risks of silicone implants long term are not even known? 

No I am going to forget about the obsession with vanity and thank God that I am here and well. Who am i trying to convince lol ? 

All the best guys

• FormerMember

Hi dyno

I was diagnosed September 2011 at 42, had the testicle removed February 2012 at 43 but had no prosthetic as the silicone scare was at its height. I have no regrets as your other half won't spend an awful lot of time looking at your scrotum and anyway the one testicle fills the space. I have a great sex life too, my thigh is still numb and no way would I open up the scar for a prosthetic. If I had been in my twenties I might have considered it, but only might. I think you've made the right decision.

Cheers

Rich

• FormerMember

Rich

Really appreciate you replying and is big help to find someone my age that has been through it also as they made me feel like I was the only one. 

My family are very happy at the news I just gave them and said why mess about opening yourself up and possible risks when you are well and happy now. I really cannot argue with that can I.

All the best 

• FormerMember
    Hi Dyno I was diagnosed last August with stage 1 and I'm 43 next Tuesday. For the 48 hours between being diagnosed and having the orcidetomy I was convinced I would get the implant. When it came to the day of the op I changed my mind, and I've not regretted it. My wife couldn't give a monkeys how the backing singers look as long as the lead singer performs :-) Take care Noel
  • FormerMember

Dyno

Stage 1 - right one removed in Nov last year.  No fake put back.  Obviously to have or not to have is a personal choice but I could not see the point myself.  I am nearly 40, married with a little one and my wife does not care that 1 remains.  If i was younger or if the other has to go then it may change but I am more than happy with the one.  And the thought of having stitches out again does not appeal to me!  Ouch that hurt and I still remember it.