Prosthetic testicle

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 98 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi all,

Was just wondering on people's views about having a prosthetic testicle put in when having one removed?

Tom's surgery is on 3rd October, and he's undecided about whether to have one put in or not.  He really doesn't want to have more surgery after this one (he's also having lymph nodes removed, so quite big surgery) so if he doesn't get it now, I don't think he'll get one at all.  Popping one in at a later date isn't really an option.

Has anyone had one put in? Has anyone not had one put it?  I've heard that if you don't the remaining testicle balances out, but wouldn't it feel a bit strange just having one?  Although I thought that some men look like that only have one anyway??

Sorry for rambling, just trying to help my hubby decide what to do.  I don't mind either way, its down to him, he's so undecided he's even put a poll on his facebook page!!!

thanks in advance :)

Clair

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to gregm

You're exactly right. I am not too sure what I would have decided if I was told it was best to have the prosthetic implanted later after the I/O.

I am an example of the flipside of this surgery, which I add is the minority. The likelihood is that I will have to have it removed and suffer yet another op. But I will update on that depending on what happens.

Hang tight

UPDATE

I am indeed having it removed. 

UPDATE

before the date of my surgery, the scrotum ruptured and the prosthetic fell out in the bath. Absolutely crazy.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That's some journey you have been through Grizzly91 and hope all is now well and your pulling through.

I'm new to this group and also the online community. I am now aproaching my first year CT scan and can honestly say have had no if very little problem since the op. I had a prosthesis put in and seems like I am one of the lucky ones and had little swelling or pain. Everything at the time of my op was very quick (all done and dusted from diagnoses to op within a week) and I didn't have time to think as to whether I wanted a prosthetic or not. It just felt natural at the time to have one put in. If I had seem your posts at that time, I may have had second thought.

To all TC sufferes - keep it strong!!  

• FormerMember
    Hello everyone! Just signed up to this site as I was searching for info regarding prosthetic testis. I was diagnosed with testicular cancer 3 weeks ago and had my orchidectomy 2 weeks ago. Made a good recovery - only had 1 painful day the day after op, after that not too bad. However, I have no feeling in the area below the scar, which i think was the reason I didn't suffer too much pain! I went for a prosthetic and to be honest I need to wait to see if that was a good option. It is sitting much higher than my healthy right testicle so looks a bit silly. Also it's far bigger and is very tight in the scrotal sack. I wouldn't call it pain, but uncomfortable as it feels like the sack is tightening around the prosthetic. I cannot believe my surgeon put a far bigger size in than I needed, but it's starting to look that way! I have read on a couple of google searches that maybe it will drop downwards later? Off topic I know but my main concern at the mo is that i feel a bit 'lost' in terms of what's going on. My operation was 2 weeks ago, I was told I would need a CT scan but haven't heard anything about that yet. The worst thing is I don't really feel like I know who is dealing with me. I was diagnosed in my local hospital but had the surgery in a different hospital. I really don't know whether I should be trying to contact the ward that diagnosed me, the surgeon who operated on me, or just my GP and ask him to chase? I'm waiting for something through the post regarding a date for my CT scan, but should I have/have had a post op check up or anything? I feel a bit forgotten! Any views would be most welcome. Also feel free to contact me if you want to know any details about the prosthetic etc. Take care everyone.
  • Hi Saint-Mabes, It sounds like we've been through similar treatment. I had my prosthesis 2 months ago, and like you had little pain, but some discomfort for 2~3 weeks - for me that was a prickly feeling near the prosthesis. After a month it went away. I also had the numbness below the scar, that's back to normal too (i'd actually forgoteen that symptom until you reminded me). Nobody ever bothered to check on the surgery afterwards - I guess on the basis that i'd raise anything that was an issue. I had a CT scan a few weeks after - mainly as I was stage IIc with a 14cm tumour in my abdominal lymph glands (all clear now). You don't say what your diagnosis was (i.e. stage), but in my case the timing of the orchidectomey and the CT scan were unrelated. I learned during my time as a patient to be gently insistent, phoning the hospital if I wanted to know something, or hanging around the ward/department until the doctor saw me (took until 8pm one night...). If you're concerned, phone the hospital(s) directly and leave messages with the doctors/consultants secretaries. Did they assign you an oncology nurse? At Addenbrookes you get assigned one, and I pester her with all manner of questions.

• FormerMember

Hi Saint M

I think you are on a hospital's system somewhere. I had a follow up to the orchidectomy 3 weeks after the op, to check the scar and tell me the results of the pathology on the rogue testicle. I had chemo at Southampton and the orchidectomy at Chichester. The follow up was done by the Consultant of the team who operated on me at Chichester but I remain under the care of another Consultant at Southampton, the regional centre for TC. If you are worried as gregm suggests I would ring your oncology nurse (they also allocate one at Southampton) or the hospital where you had the operation. The secretary of your consultant (or the counsultant led team) should know whats going on. A month after the follow-up with the surgeon, I went back to Southampton for a check up, I filled out loads of questionnaires and they gave me a vwebsite for my treatment plan that involved blood tests or X-rays every 2 months, CT scan at 6 months (they don't like giving too many), a year, a year and a half to the 5 years. I also went to a testicular cancer workshop.

You may find that a date for your follow up is already in the post but its either the Consultant or one of his team who operated on you that will see you in clinic. Don't worry you've done the hard bit, the rest is just follow ups and appointments.

Cheers

Rich

• FormerMember
    Cheers Rich. Funnily enough I'm in Southampton too. Was diagnosed in the general but had the surgery at lymington hospital. Strange that I never got given a particular 'oncology nurse', but i think he must be the one that I asked the name if which I noted down. I did actually phone the oncology ward where i was diagnosed on Thursday, but the lady I spoke to said there was nothing on the system about a CT scan. I was however passed on to a doctor who said "I'm sure your surgeon would have requested one" and that she'd "chase it up". However I still dint know the outcome of that. Out of interest, when you had your follow up appointment to check scar and get results of the tumour had you not had the CT scan? I just assumed the scan would need to be discussed with the results? Many thanks mate
  • FormerMember

The numbness will take about 8 months to go. Mine nearly has!

Total  lack of  customer service is the biggest gripe with the NHS. You SHOULD be under an oncologist from now on, to get  the scan and then followup chemo.

You wont be able to have a scan for 2-3 weeks after the op as it will show false positives, so concentrate on getting over the  op now.

They should get in touch: If not ask your GP to find out WTF they are doing.

• FormerMember

Hi Sant M

If you've been treated at the General, you will be well looked after. Do bear in mind the 2 bank holidays that will have delayed things at the hospital and the post. I had a CT scan when I was diagnosed before chemo (September 2011) and a second CT scan (January 2012) after chemo had been completed but a month before the operation in early February. The CT scan is 100,000 times the power of an X-ray so they have to balance its use with the results and thats why they use it sparingly. I think your post op follow up will be to discuss the scar and the pathology on what was removed. The CT scan sounds as if it will be done later as part of your tests and checking while you are in remission. If you are worried you can raise it at your post op consultation or ring the hospital. At the General there is a dedicated Macmillan TC oncology nurse who is there to deal and co-ordinate with timings of post op consultations and scans. I have his name and number and can forward it to you but you will have to log on as a friend on this forum for me to send a private message. As has been said before sometimes you have to be a bit pro-active and give things a nudge. It sounds as if you have done the hard bit though and you are just beginning the after care. Its all good.

Cheers

Rich

• FormerMember
    Hello all, a little update from me. I finally had an appointment with the oncologist and have got the all clear. Stage 1 teratoma low risk category. The CT scan shows no spread and blood markers back to normal. Need to say a massive thankyou to you guys (rich, Greg, itzman etc) who replied/listened to my situation. It was massively helpful and helped me through 6 weeks of wondering. I wish you all all the best and hope to stay in contact to share my experience with other people who get in a similar situation. Thanks again, Paul
  • FormerMember

Oh such good news!

Stage 1 us almost 'job done' except for chemo/follow up.

Good luck