Stress relief and being good to yourself

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 44 replies
  • 324 subscribers

Good morning lovely people

I'm nearing the end of my treatment - just 12 rads and Herceptin to go. As part of my recovery process, I realise that I need to make some changes in my life, one of which being to try and reduce stress.

So my question for you all on this sunny morning (well it is sunny near the Pennines) is this...

what do you do to try and reduce stress? How are you "kind to yourself"? I'd love to hear your tips. As for me, I'm finding a new love for gardening and I am also trying mindfulness.

Love to you all 

xxxxx

• Morning amy its absolutely beautiful in Sheffield today xx im gonna try yoga personally x I have terrible joint aches and im also gonna try and think before I speak lol !!!! Xxxxx

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Biggest stress at moment is blooming auto correct on this damn phone, I hate incorrect grammar and spelling and this phone just does what it likes! yoga is a good form of stress relief, I am starting back at my class tonight as I haven't been since before my surgery.  I also think that this horrible disease puts things in perspective and actually my life is worth more than whatever or whoever is causing me stress, if a deadline cannot be met or tea gets burnt then does it really matter? No, you can only achieve the achievable, if it is unachievable then there is nothing I can do about that. I have also started knitting, I can tell you now that I don't think that there will be anythING I knit that will be either usable or wearable but again it doesn't matter as I do it for me and it is keeping me occupied

Mindset is the biggest change you can make to dealing with stress, how many times do we forget what is important and the beauty that is around us In the simplest terms such as the sun shining, flowers coming into blossom, birds singing outside? We have all been through the mill following our diagnosis, everything else is a walk in the park xxxxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Amy, I am looking for the answer to this question too !!!!! I hope we both get a solution. 

Love Judith xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

Am only at the start of my treatment - second (of 6) chemo next week, then radio and Herceptin to follow.

For me, I am lucky in I have a christening and a wedding to look forward to (June and July). The other things that help are little things - I have bird feeders in my garden, near to the window and have been watching the blue tits, blackbird, robin etc . I have always loved nature so am planning days out at nature reserves - Martin Mere and Brockholes to name two - both have lots of places to sit down if I get tired and have cafes as well - plus I know I won't be the only person with a hat on!

Hope that helps - sending hugs

xx

• Talking of stress releif my next door neighbor has been banging since 8 this morning !!! Im gonna go round n knock him out and that'll deffo releive stress for me !!!!! Xxxxx

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This is a great question.  I tried to do this too - mindfulness, exercise, concentrating on the things I really love - but it didn't really help me.  In the end I realised that, for me, worrying about things I haven't done will always stress me more, so I had to go through a deeply unpleasant time of turning my life upside down and putting all my affairs on a more solid foundation.  I am astonished at the peace of mind this has given me.  I am in the process of getting rid of a lot of old belongings, taking stuff to the tip, giving things away to people who need them more than I do, all that good stuff.  This did not feel, at first, as if I was being kind to myself or reducing stress - in fact it felt like I was lowering myself into the heart of a fire which was made entirely of stress.  But I do feel much better now.  A knot of anxiety which was always with me is slowly unravelling.  It's an ongoing work, and I imagine I'll be doing this for a good long time.

Of course, this approach only works if you're like me - someone who has neglected many areas of their life for a number of years!  If you're organised and tidy, then clearly you have no need to do this stuff!  But I wonder whether, perhaps, most people have an area of their lives, whether it be work, personal relationships, or the burgeoning amount of stuff in your garden shed, which could do with being dragged out and looked at in the daylight.  That doesn't feel like stress reduction at the time, but perhaps it counts because of the eventual results.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Jacqueline - thanks for your post. A lot of what you say makes complete sense in terms of perspective, a mantra I am trying to live by also. Ali - I don't know if you know but there are loads of yoga videos and tutorials on YouTube.

The other thing I have been trying is colouring - if you google colouring books for adults (as opposed to adult colouring books which might yield a different set of results!), there are loads on Amazon. I find it a great way to switch off as done of the designs are very intricate and require concentration! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

This thread appearing now is very good timing for me.

I've just started to believe that I need to relax more than I am at the moment.

We've started to look into different types to see what suits me.

I had a Reflexology session last week an it was bliss. It was the most relaxing thing I've ever done.

For me, I think a mixture of regular massage on my neck and shoulders and Reflexology should really help me.

I shall follow this thread carefully to see if there are other types of relaxation techniques open to me.

Thanks.

Mike xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Tigerlil - I like your idea of having something to look forward to, it definitely helps focus the mind. I started my chemo late Aug last year and when I was feeling up to it, I planted lots of bulbs in the garden. I remember thinking at the time that when the bulbs start to appear, my hair should be sprouting back. Sure enough it is! It's kind of prophetic in a way. 

Emma - thanks for your post. It really struck a chord. I'm trying to get to the root of what causes me stress -aside from the obvious! I'm booked in for some therapy sessions to start in 6 weeks or so.

Mike - I'm glad you are finding reflexology to be of help. Complimentary courses are offered at my hospital so I'm going to look into it too.

xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ali owl

Watch those nails Ali owl ...... xxxxx