Stress relief and being good to yourself

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 44 replies
  • 311 subscribers

Good morning lovely people

I'm nearing the end of my treatment - just 12 rads and Herceptin to go. As part of my recovery process, I realise that I need to make some changes in my life, one of which being to try and reduce stress.

So my question for you all on this sunny morning (well it is sunny near the Pennines) is this...

what do you do to try and reduce stress? How are you "kind to yourself"? I'd love to hear your tips. As for me, I'm finding a new love for gardening and I am also trying mindfulness.

Love to you all 

xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

All these responses Amy Lou are ringing true for me to  ....only yesterday I met with the OT and she recommended I slow down and relax more. She said that maybe my inability to rest was not helping my memory which was/is a big worry for me. It seems to be getting worse hence my appointment. She thinks I am over doing things and need to relax more and take my time recovering(7 wks post chemo). She left me with an activity diary and asked me to plan in rest periods during the day and week. I did read recently if it takes longer than 30mins to recover from an active period/exercise you have over done it. She also said fatigue can impair your cognitive ability . All very plausible so will need to find more ways of keeping myself occupied when sitting. Can't seem to settle to reading the best I can do is a few games of freecell but that gets boring.. I will have to try harder at this relaxing malarkey and de clutter my life ......of all things stressfull .

Good Luck everyone xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Amyoul1978,

I just keep buying dangly earrings!!!!!!!!  Always used to wear studs but my wigs cover them-my husband can't seem to understand how many pairs i need-he just smiles and say as long as it is making me happy :)  

• Having something to concentrate on like knitting (I'm a slow knitter who really has to concentrate!), reading a good book and exercise are my mainstays. I find having a little treat to look forward to helps too- from a new book, yummy chocolate or chat with a friend. Being in the fresh air walking my dog is a life saver and real stress buster, surrounded by nature.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi DragonLady,

I love dangly earrings too! I did not used to wear jewellery much,  but now I'm building up a small collection ( so far) of earrings I bought some in a shop called Badger in Brighton made by a Danish company.  I'm always on the look out for gem stones too eg natural Aquamarine. 

www.hultquist.copenhagen.com;  I got a pair of Pineapple earrings, got Pomegranite ones last year!

Treasure your hubby too. He sounds a lovely guy !! Love Judith xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to suze99

Hi Suze, 

If you ever want inspiration for knitting or craftwork there are 1000's of pics & links to patterns on Pinterest.  I have a board of pins of FairIsle design: so pretty!  Here's a BIG project ;-D 

Dog walking relaxing too  ,  little uns need lead training :-)  Judith xx

• FormerMember
    www.hultquist-copenhagen.com/.../Unite... United Kingdom. If you are shopping for yourself please see the list of our stockists. ( Right www this time)!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Amy Lou, & George : G' n' J :-)

I seem to recall George, big bikes being a passion of yours ? ( so I thought that I'd combine them with another pasion of mine dogs in clothes :-D in this instance on bikes ! ( How cool is that !!!!!! ) xx

• FormerMember

Dogs on bikes :-D 

• FormerMember

Dogs on bikes :-) 

• FormerMember

Dogs on bikes ....